There are newer employer reviews for International Data Group

a bit of a velvet coffin

Current Employee - Senior Reporter in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at International Data Group

Pros

pro-family, interested in worker retention; decent salary and above-average benefits; dedication to quality trade journalism (i.e. no obvious quid pro quos to tech advertisers and companies we cover, lots of freedom to journalists to report and write as they like) over gossip and rumormongering ala some newfangled blogs

Cons

difficult to advance if not based in Framingham; journalism market in upheaval and IDG not immune; company sometimes too paternalistic to employees and thus less urgency to adapt quickly (outgrowth of Uncle Pat's personality, good and bad); there is some tolerance of underperformers (almost inevitable result of freedom given to journos, but still...)

Advice to Management

more urgency to keep adapting to Web publishing;

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. IDG, a very solid employer

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at International Data Group

Pros

It is a great company and people are very very professional and friendly. It still has a small company field because it is decentralized, so as a techie you get to be involved with a wide range of technologies and business problems. I actually really enjoy my job for the first time. One reason for this is I finally have lots more work to keep me busy. Ice cream truck comes during the summer and is free. Pool table downstairs. The job is not in Boston so there's parking and you have a reverse commute -- less traffic.

Cons

Downsides are few. I'm having trouble finding anything bad to say.

Advice to Management

The problem with all tech employers is that it's always better for employees to jump ship to make more money or get advancement in their careers. Also the program in CIO.com to have employees enjoy profits from their business ideas is a great leap forward. I think all employers should have such a program. I look forward to that program's success. Employees really should enjoy the profit from their contributions in a fair way. Success should be shared, and this promotes hard working employees with numerous profitable ideas. Lunacy that other employers don't do this. Absolute lunacy.

2. Good

Former Employee - Electrical Supervisor in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Electrical Supervisor in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at International Data Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good team work

Cons

Goood. Best

Advice to Management

Na