There are newer employer reviews for International Game Technology

Good Environment

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

Company is kind to their employee and environment is easy going

Cons

So far so good, didn't find any cons

279 Other Employee Reviews for International Game Technology (View Most Recent)

IGT has been good to me but has many troubling issues

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a Hardware Engineer, I have been well rewarded. Even through the worst of the recent economic crisis, I received raises while others got none or were laid off, so they do reward exceptional employees. I have been promoted every 2 to 3 years. I receive yearly cash and stock bonuses. I get 5 weeks of vacation every year. Health benefits are good but not as good as they used to be. I rarely work more than 45 hours a week. My work schedule is flexible.

Cons

I read most of the reviews before writing this. I think that those complaining about not getting raises and promotions highlinght a very big problem at IGT: they rarely fire poor performers. With the exception of the layoffs that occurred durring the recession and subsequint restructuring, you pretty much have to steal or commit some othe crime before they will fire you. For this reason and many others, I have to agree with many others on this site that IGT is poorly managed.

Here are just a few of the other issues:

1. Silos. Ineffective communication between departments, territorial turf wars, finger pointing.
    2. Senior management has been investing in a lot of HR processes but not in innovation. Since IGT is a technology company this is the kiss of death.
    3. Senior management does not make important strategic decisions. Instead, they allow they Silos to duke it out, which results in waste of both time and money.

Lastly, they have stop spending money on keeping their engineers up to date. This is also a bad sign for a technology company.

Besides fixing the issues above, I'd like them to Please stop trying to motivate your employees with silly slogans like "courage to change." Maybe this stuff works on HR people but engineers sneer at this stuff. Along those same lines, if you have to make cuts, don't try to dress it up like it's a good thing; we aren't stupid.

Finally, if you want disruptive technology, you have to spend on R and D, duh.

A good company to work for.

Current Employee - Technical Trainer III  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Trainer III in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a lot of travel with my position

Cons

There is too much travel with my position

Start treating employees as assets instead of resources to be used up.

There are newer employer reviews for International Game Technology

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!