International Game Technology

www.igt.com
  www.igt.com
There are newer employer reviews for International Game Technology

Good balance of work and life.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for the biggest slot company in the world is great, they give good benefit, and work is not so intense. Depending on the cabinet games can be made pretty fast and you won't have to get stuck in the same project for long time. Slot industry is also pretty stable and that's a big plus.

Cons

Since I was in the Vegas office, I often had to phone or email Reno HQ for some stuff. And it is hard to get things done if they tries to ignore you.

I don't know anything about management so good luck.

292 Other Employee Reviews for International Game Technology (View Most Recent)

Great company

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant III in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant III in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are very into spending the money so you don't miss work with a gym and seasonal vaccines on site. Reimbursed tuition, great insurance, matching 401k options, and cash sharing

Cons

It's the gaming industry so your approving of gambling.

IGT has been good to me but has many troubling issues

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a Hardware Engineer, I have been well rewarded. Even through the worst of the recent economic crisis, I received raises while others got none or were laid off, so they do reward exceptional employees. I have been promoted every 2 to 3 years. I receive yearly cash and stock bonuses. I get 5 weeks of vacation every year. Health benefits are good but not as good as they used to be. I rarely work more than 45 hours a week. My work schedule is flexible.

Cons

I read most of the reviews before writing this. I think that those complaining about not getting raises and promotions highlinght a very big problem at IGT: they rarely fire poor performers. With the exception of the layoffs that occurred durring the recession and subsequint restructuring, you pretty much have to steal or commit some othe crime before they will fire you. For this reason and many others, I have to agree with many others on this site that IGT is poorly managed.

Here are just a few of the other issues:

1. Silos. Ineffective communication between departments, territorial turf wars, finger pointing.
    2. Senior management has been investing in a lot of HR processes but not in innovation. Since IGT is a technology company this is the kiss of death.
    3. Senior management does not make important strategic decisions. Instead, they allow they Silos to duke it out, which results in waste of both time and money.

Lastly, they have stop spending money on keeping their engineers up to date. This is also a bad sign for a technology company.

Besides fixing the issues above, I'd like them to Please stop trying to motivate your employees with silly slogans like "courage to change." Maybe this stuff works on HR people but engineers sneer at this stuff. Along those same lines, if you have to make cuts, don't try to dress it up like it's a good thing; we aren't stupid.

Finally, if you want disruptive technology, you have to spend on R and D, duh.

There are newer employer reviews for International Game Technology