There are newer employer reviews for International Game Technology

Not a very good experience

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work environment is OK. Package is ok compared to the work load.

Cons

Not much chance to get promoted. Technologies are very old, you would be amazed to see many legacy products. Too many re-org.

reviews filtered by
  1. IGT is a good compnay with great people.

Pros

IGT has great people to work with, lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Unfortunatly many question the motives of our top Executives.

I dont like

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is not a positive work environment, bad leadership, dying business model, no answers on how to turn things around. Many very smart people left the company earlier this year which resulted in much knowledge walking out the door. I can think of a few "rock star" types in particular -known around town as best in what they do or did- who were not utilized properly here or were put in wrong position and not surprising they left. No doubt they will add proper value for a competitor eventually. Sense of giving up + hanging around to see what happens after company is sold dominates the tone. Also there is constant reorganization which hinders traction and progress.

Cons

Very odd management group with a lot of hand-picked and unqualified directors and vice presidents making huge decisions, often from remote locations. several of these people who are making $300K+ are working from home. there is hostility from management if you are a "gaming industry" person, they seem to dislike people with this knowledge, which is very strange and ironic. Beyond this internal issues, there is the elephant-in-the room which is that the slot machine is a buggy-whip product that is becoming less popular and less relevant every day. if you look at a slot machine doesnt it look like a 30 year old thing? people under 50 for the most part have zero interest in this product -- which is a big problem. The company also relies too heavily on a dated model of licensing old movies and tv shows for content -- this strategy is 30 years old and was good in the 90s but now everyone does it and players dont care and casino operators dont want it anymore, it makes their nice floors look tacky. there is something about going to wynn for example .. if you see some wheel of fortune machine it just looks out of place (tacky vs classy of wynn atmosphere) .. Young people -- how are we going to get them to gamble? There is ZERO thought on this big subject, which is shocking -- the company strategy seems to be hoping the 60-70 year old woman will not age. Executives dont walk casino floors, they dont play the slots machines either. i dont think they like them either! I guess they dont care because they know they will not be long term involved with IGT. if you are an employee or own stock you think different but they dont care. IGT is what happens when management and stock holder have interests not in line. I think this company is doomed.

Advice to Management

Get out of hardware business, become a software company and grow beyond gambling games to more video game style company across media platforms. And get with newer technology, it is amazing how old the technology is at a company with technology in its name (for now anyway). I also agree that spending millions of dollars on a logo which no one cares about was stupid given the timing. They will lose me soon also.

There are newer employer reviews for International Game Technology