International Paper

Fine place to work

Former Employee - Team Technician in Franklin, VA
Former Employee - Team Technician in Franklin, VA

I worked at International Paper

Pros

I really enjoyed the job, the pay was good and I learned a lot. My immediate manager was great to work for.

Cons

They made a really hasty decision to shut down an entire mill that has always been profitable (was still profitable at the time of shut down) to send business to an over seas mill. They made a cost cutting goal for us to help the company (mind you we were still profitable) and we doubled the cost cutting savings and everything was looking good. We were all proud of ourselves with posters plastered throughout the mill letting everyone know we exceeded our goals, then one day one of the hireups came and shut us down.

something like this can happen at any time. As long as the International paper mill you are employed arent in the crosshairs, the job is great. but you dont have to be in bad shape to be shut down.

I guess the only advise I would give is to think things out when you decide to shut down facilities that are making you money. even as the doors were closing on this facility, there were orders that needed to be met. this was a really bad decision on your part and from what I understand, the man responsible has been pushed out of the company

229 Other Employee Reviews for International Paper (View Most Recent)

SAP Basis Administrator

Current Employee - SAP Basis Administrator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - SAP Basis Administrator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at International Paper

Pros

Invests in Information Technology internally with data center and employees in a time where out sourcing and hosting is thriving.

Cons

Salary and merit increases are low but the cost of living in Memphis is also low justifying there reasoning. The economy is still recovering at this time so merit raises can get better. Equipment is old and CRT rather than LCD are still used. No head sets and shabby offices for the IT people.

Equip employees with what they need to do their job. John Faraci is a paper guy and knows the business. Make sure your employees can do their job with the current equipment.

Buzz Words and BS

Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager in Moss Point, MS
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager in Moss Point, MS

I worked at International Paper

Pros

Good benefits, somewhat stable company, very interesting and challenging manufacturing process, opportunity to learn if the right mentor is available

Cons

Incompetent, unqualified management who got to their current level by being politically correct and always appearing to succeed, when in fact they just didn't do anything of significance. IP management's solution to poor performance is to divest mills and resources to try to compensate for the fact that most of the senior leadership don't have a clue. They are mostly business, accounting, and marketing types, instead of production and manufacturing experience based.

Better take your easy money while you can. The way you are going, the company won't last another 5 years.

There are newer employer reviews for International Paper