International Rescue Committee

www.rescue.org

Senior-management heavy, micromanaging bonanza.

Public Outreach (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOrganization has prestigious name and history. The humanitarian aid side of things seems to be run very well. On the field work side of things, the IRC has a huge scope of work and provides a lot more services than most other humanitarian agencies. But also many chances to network with other humanitarian agencies. It would probably be a good place to do an internship to get experience for work in the field. For other areas (external outreach, HR etc.) you can probably get a lot of mileage from the name on your resume.

Good office location and compensation is about equal to that of similar sized humanitarian agencies.

ConsAs former reviewer posted, be prepared to be over-worked and under-appreciated. Very little personal training and reluctance to invest in employee development in any way. Impossibly high expectations at times for lower and mid-level employees. Very stressful.

Very strange dynamics going on here - levels of micromanagement all the way to the top but complete lack of project ownership until something goes well. Blame inevitably trickles down. Many internal struggles between senior staff that make doing ones job very, very difficult.

Process for promotions and hiring does not seem fair and organization is generally 'top heavy'. Organization announced a non-essential hiring/promotion freeze less than a week after promoting 6 most senior staff members and a number of employees at employment level. Benefits program is not good - they do not even have maternity leave and coverage by healthcare plan is less than basic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please, please hire some more lower level staff...people who actually get the work done so the "big ideas" can happen. Also, put aside petty power struggles and work together to create a coherent plan for organization as a whole because this is lacking and it lends towards panic, chaos and disorder...which might be appropriate in the field but it isn't in the main office.

Overworked, understaffed, disorganized

Resettlement Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at International Rescue Committee as an intern for less than a year

Pros: You get hands-on work experience helping those who are in need. In the office I worked in, I worked with barely any supervision which allowed… Cons: You get interns doing the work a full-time, fully trained employee should be doing. While I liked being able to take on a lot of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to gain experience in the international relief/development sector

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at International Rescue Committee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Contributing to an organization that does amazing work both overseas and domestically; co-workers… Cons: Junior staff sometimes feel undervalued; difficult to be promoted above… Advice to Senior Management: Improve employee satisfaction and retention by providing more professional development… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on International Rescue Committee.

Worked for International Rescue Committee? Contribute to the Community!