There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Hotels

Good experience, more communication needed.

Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interstate Hotels

Pros

I got to learn independent management skills- often times, depending on the property, you're the staff member and acting manager on duty. This forces you to really understand the hotel and how to deal with customers and situations on the fly. Even as a desk agent I was forced to make quick decisions that shaped the operations of the hotel.

Cons

I worked short term, so I can't comment on the advancement side of things but you have much more contact with the AGM than you do the GM, and most of the time I was around other desk workers more than management, so I couldn't get much top-down communication.

More transparency in why things are done would be nice. Understanding why price groups are blocked off is nice, especially since it can be frustrating when they aren't available for someone who deserves it- like a military family.

reviews filtered by
  1. middle of the road

Current Employee - Hourly in Hotel (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Hourly in Hotel (Costa Rica)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

it's a job, better than being unemployed

Cons

micromanagement, too many reports to different managers, so-so pay

streamline reporting so employees can do what they were hired for, you get what you pay for

2. Outgrowing themselves and losing effective oversight

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hotels to choose from making advancement or relocation easier. Hotels are mostly deluxe and upscale properties and upper tier executives are great people, extremely nice and helpful. Some good benefits but not necessarily better than any other hotel.

Cons

Hotel level management holds all the accountability and is likely to have to work 60-70 hours a week due to excessive reporting and training required. Very hard to get promoted beyond that level unless you know how to play the game; if your regional folks are weak, it will reflect poorly on you as well and you will not get noticed. Regionals are highly compensated but apparently held responsible for almost nothing and don't necessarily reflect the values of the upper tier. Your personal experience will depend largely on them and your exposure to the great people at the top with be once a year at most.

Hold your regional managers more accountable for the way they treat people; it doesn't reflect your values. Get out and see your GMs.

There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Hotels