There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Hotels

Incredible.

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Interstate Hotels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My boss lets me learn and make mistakes but holds me accountable to everything so I can become better at my craft and I can grow where I want to grow. Not for the feint of heart or people that need their hand held.

Cons

Some people may find the productivity expectations a bit challenging. I took them as an opportunity to grow and become more efficient with my time and resources.

Keep pushing! Our Guests expect the best!

64 Other Employee Reviews for Interstate Hotels (View Most Recent)

Depends on the Hotel Property

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interstate's the largest third party management company in the country so it's very established. There're over 300 hotels in its portfolio within the US so there's plenty of places to move around to within the company if you're willing to relocate (the fastest way to climb up the ladder). Interstate is constantly growing and acquiring new properties so the portfolio's always expanding. Most of the upper management (Executive Committee) are very caring, good people willing to teach and guide you. However, this really varies on which property you're at.

Cons

Takes a long time to get promoted no matter how recognized you are and how hard you work. There's no bonus system in place for anyone that's below an Assistant Director level so there's no incentive to work hard and do well. The pay and benefits are not that great, especially compared to the hotel brand companies (ie. Starwood, Four Seasons, etc.) A huge portion of their close to 400 hotel portfolio are small select-service hotels in the middle of nowhere. From personal experience, I've worked with some extremely horrible EC level people. They broke industry principles, lacked managerial skills, and were extremely condescending employees and other department heads. Everyone knew this and even corporate stepped in to send an HR manager and Senior VP to assess the situation but nothing was done. Needless to say, I'm not very motivated to stay with the company anymore after all this.

Focus more on management training program and developing younger talent. When there's an issue that's constantly being flagged at a property, deal with it. Don't just send in HR to talk to the employees on their feelings. If nothing is done, employees only suffer more.

Basically the most corrupt company ever

Former Employee - Front Desk Assistant Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Assistant Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Interstate Hotels

Pros

They'll give you a paycheck every pay period. Honestly that's about it. There's nothing great or outstanding about this company. They are average at best as it goes in the hospitality world.

Cons

They have no idea how to run hotels. Beware if they take over a hotel you currently work at. They'll come in, fire everyone who doesn't need to work for the management company and outsource services for Valet, Bell Services, and Housekeeping. This will lead to less personal guest contact, diminished service, more guest complaints, and overall more headaches for every employee. I

If they don't like you but cannot just come in and fire you because you make too much money and don't want to pay unemployment, they will do everything in their power to get you fired. I worked at a hotel they took over for 2 years before being taken over and I had never been written up once for any reason. Within 1 month of them taken over I was written up 3 times and put on my final warning. Stupid things like not putting my initials on a reservation, and not taking a credit card from a guest who we had a direct bill with. Then when they had no more to write me up about, they accused me of being on drugs while at work...in the lobby bar....in public...in front of guests. The most unprofessional display I've ever seen. If that wasn't enough, I was injured at work, refused an ambulance, but one was called anyway by upper management. I was told at the time I was covered by workman's compensation...$2100 in medical bills later they said they wouldn't cover it. Took me 10 months in court to get a settlement out of their insurance company.

Stay away at all costs.

Get on the floor and see what really goes on. Don't take the word of a compulsive liar about happenings.

There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Hotels