Interstate Hotels

Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beachwood, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Interstate Hotels

Pros

Managed by Interstate Hotels which has a great reputation as a hotel franchiser. Limited opportunity for advancement at this location though. May be better at other locations. Does not cover relo costs or encourage relocation to other cities like other hotel management companies.

Cons

Poor upper management (GM) that does not seem to care about its employees. Non-supportive GM that doesnt seem to do anything but sit in his office all day and watch the news and youtube while delegating his work to his managers and assistant. Very unprofessional towards customers and other employees as well. Many instances I witnessed GM yelling at other employees and being rude to guests. Not a good role model to subordinates because of this. The rest of the team is great to work with but overall it is a very negative environment since you feel like you are always walking on eggshells with upper management.

Fire upper management. Lack the skills to management a team and create a positive working environment.

56 Other Employee Reviews for Interstate Hotels (View Most Recent)

Good experience, more communication needed.

Former Employee - Guest Services Agent  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interstate Hotels

Pros

I got to learn independent management skills- often times, depending on the property, you're the staff member and acting manager on duty. This forces you to really understand the hotel and how to deal with customers and situations on the fly. Even as a desk agent I was forced to make quick decisions that shaped the operations of the hotel.

Cons

I worked short term, so I can't comment on the advancement side of things but you have much more contact with the AGM than you do the GM, and most of the time I was around other desk workers more than management, so I couldn't get much top-down communication.

More transparency in why things are done would be nice. Understanding why price groups are blocked off is nice, especially since it can be frustrating when they aren't available for someone who deserves it- like a military family.

Outgrowing themselves and losing effective oversight

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of hotels to choose from making advancement or relocation easier. Hotels are mostly deluxe and upscale properties and upper tier executives are great people, extremely nice and helpful. Some good benefits but not necessarily better than any other hotel.

Cons

Hotel level management holds all the accountability and is likely to have to work 60-70 hours a week due to excessive reporting and training required. Very hard to get promoted beyond that level unless you know how to play the game; if your regional folks are weak, it will reflect poorly on you as well and you will not get noticed. Regionals are highly compensated but apparently held responsible for almost nothing and don't necessarily reflect the values of the upper tier. Your personal experience will depend largely on them and your exposure to the great people at the top with be once a year at most.

Hold your regional managers more accountable for the way they treat people; it doesn't reflect your values. Get out and see your GMs.

There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Hotels

Worked for Interstate Hotels? Contribute to the Community!