There are newer employer reviews for Intertek

A very odd company. My nightmares have stopped and I sleep better now that I no longer work at Intertek.

Current Employee - Employee in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An interesting company that offers a great service.
Good amount of PTO offered to new employees.
Company has a decent reputation in comparison to other NRTL's.

Cons

An appearance of outward diversity but this company does not foster a culture of inclusiveness.
Sometimes openly hostile towards foreign-born employees.
The phrase " you're lucky to have a job" has been said to me more than once.
A very conservative, rigid, cold company trying pass itself off as a warm, fun workplace.
Company does not behave as a good corporate citizen in their communities. Employees are not encouraged to volunteer, recycle, or give back in any way.
Narrow-minded good ole' boy mentality runs rampant throughout the company.
Management will often use abusive and vulgar language towards an employee without repercussions.
Promotes a culture of degradation and humiliation.
Competitive culture and not team-oriented nor supportive.
Most managers are men, and the evidence suggests that they prefer to tap other men on the shoulder when it's time kick an idea ball around or promote someone.
They give you a ton of vacation time and will work you so hard you'll need every minute of it.
As a male employee it disturbs me to see how few female's work at Intertek. Female employees are disproportionably under-represented in managerial, engineering, and technical positions.
There are a lot of people that have been at the company 10+ years and a lot of people that have been there less than 1. Not many in between.
There's a 9 in 10 chance you will end up working for a manager who believes themselves to be a genius but actually rates high on the Autism scale.
The only reason a person would subject him or herself to staying Intertek for a long time is that they have lost all confidence in their skills and abilities or are a part of the small few that are compensated fairly.
You will pay heavily for your work VISA sponsorship.
The workplace's are a gray cubicles, out-dated, dreary purgatory.
You will work hard very hard for very little compensation or reward.
HR aka "The firing squad" are ghosts unless you do something wrong. When you do speak to them, they are unfriendly, unhelpful, and for the most part unresponsive, snarling corporate robots.

Foster a culture of inclusiveness. Reassess the qualifications for managers. Just because someone has been there a while doesn't mean they know how to lead. Stop hiring creative, kind, energetic people if all you want are drones who can follow orders.

You will be replacing employee's at a record pace if this behavior continues.

131 Other Employee Reviews for Intertek (View Most Recent)

easy work but unpredictable hours

Current Employee - Inspector in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Inspector in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Intertek part-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay is decent. work is easy. bosses are nice. very little supervision

Cons

inconsistent hours. long periods of not working. Really hard to call in sick or take any time off. not very good communication with company. Company did not educate me about my job before I started.

Good Employer

Former Employee - Petroleum Inspector in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Petroleum Inspector in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The position is as advertised, you must be professional and safe, always! If you are just starting out in the oil business, this is not an oil field job. You are working as a third party representative and an extension of the client you are working for whether it is an oil company, insurance company or trading company. You will meet a number of highly influential people in the biz including customs agents, refinery personel and loss control. If you stay professional and work hard, you can expect to advance in the company or out of the company to one of the oil companies or better.

Cons

As a petroleum inspector you can expect to work regularly at all hours during your scheduled days on. At least there is a set schedule now that these companies must pay real overtime. Watch your step, wear your PPE and come home safe.

There are newer employer reviews for Intertek