Intuit
3.7 of 5 1,426 reviews
www.intuit.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Great work-life balance but moves too slowly, too much politics

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

Pros1. Great work-life balance. If you have kids or a family to care for, some departments at Intuit allow you to work from home a couple times a week (it really depends on your department, though).
2. Benefits are OK. Vision plan is awesome, 401k matching is really competitive, but the other plans are pretty standard compared to other companies.
3. Company tries really hard to minimize politics, but of course politics always creep up regardless.
4. Management is respectful of employees' time off requests, especially to care for family members (mostly kids).

Cons1. Certain managers or executives are very political and are emotionally immature, holding grudges or dealing with employees extremely unfairly as a result.
2. Promotions are scarce and very difficult unless you play the right game with the right people. My advice is to just be happy where you are and don't expect to get promoted even if you do insanely awesome work. This is horrible employee morale - no wonder no one ever wants to work hard here.
3. Most engineers do the minimum work and then go home to care for their kids. Some managers do very little to promote good coding practices and turn a blind eye, even promoting those who do little but know how to talk the talk. However, there are some technical managers who do care but those are hard to find.
4. Downside of promoting work-life balance is projects tend to move very slowly - sometimes wayyyyyy too slow. Many missed opportunities with marketing, sales, etc.

Advice to Senior Management1. Find ways to move faster on real business ideas, not "idea jam" ideas. You're having too many "Idea Jam"s - what are you getting out of them? These jams are oversaturated and no longer interesting or productive.
2. Look at who you're putting in senior management or executive positions. In particular, ask the lower-level employees how these people did before they got promoted to senior management. They may look good to you because of how they present themselves, but some of them are extremely ineffective as leaders in their own departments before getting promoted to executive positions, and are not respected at all by the lower-level employees. This lowers our confidence in how the company is being run.

Good place to work.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros: Provides a great balance of work and personal life. Intuit really cares about their employees and gives them numerous learning and advancement opportunities. My… Cons: Some of the management needs to be more responsive to the needs and suggestions of their employees. Intuit seems to be… Advice to Senior Management: Listen more closely to what your employees are telling you. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Intuit is a forward thinking company that anyone would do well to be a part of

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros: Competent Employees. Everyone here is professional and very goal oriented. The facilities are top notch. The people seem to be the best in their respective… Cons: The only difficulty I have experienced here at Intuit was: coming from a startup it was difficult to wrap my head around working for a… Advice to Senior Management: Try to balance the broad picture with task specifics when… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Intuit.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!

Intuit – Why Work for Us?

If you're ready to create, innovate and be part of something big, then you've come to the right place. Our passion for innovation allows us to take risks and try new, ingenious ways to help our customers achieve their… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intuit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intuit CEO Brad Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by Intuit employees.