Its the People!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

great flexibility and culture is great

Cons

lots of acronyms can be hard to learn

Other Reviews for Intuit

If you're an entrepreneur, stay away.

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've never in my life worked with such "nice" people. And when I say nice, I mean really nice. Almost to a fault, whereby people aren't willing to criticize anything anyone else is doing because they don't want to hurt someone else's feelings. And management at Intuit genuinely cares about the personal well-being of its employees -- you can always leave work early or take time off needed to attend to personal matters. There's also very little "catty-ness", backstabbing, etc. that you often see in large companies where people are just trying to climb the corporate ladder at all costs -- you don't get any of that at Intuit.

Unbelievable work/life balance for those that want that. If you're at the Intuit offices before 9:30am or after 5:30pm, it's a total ghost town. It seems like everyone there has families, and getting home in time for dinner is just as important as putting the finishing polish on a product. And there's complete flexibility to work from home whenever you want, as long as you're not missing any in-person meetings that you're scheduled to be a part of. Being a single entrepreneur that's used to working 70-80 hours a week, I couldn't care less about the work/life balance that Intuit had, BUT it did afford me the ability to start another start-up on nights and weekends and not have to worry about falling behind with my Intuit work :)

The compensation package is very strong. Base salaries and bonuses are great, especially given the mere 35-45 hour work weeks that are expected of you. You'll be hard-pressed to find a large company not named Google or Facebook that offers the compensation that Intuit offers.

For a big company, they really try and put together a lot of company and department socials, extra activities, fun things to do, etc. I've worked at other big companies before that only do a holiday Christmas party. Intuit seems to have a party or activity of some sorts going on at least a couple of times a month.

Cons

While Intuit claims to be an innovative company, it's anything but. The typical things that drag any large company down from being able to innovate, such as endless meetings, countless PowerPoint decks, way too many layers of management, etc., are all unfortunately extremely pervasive at Intuit. It's very difficult to actually find time to build innovative products when you're stuck in 6 hour-long meetings most days (i.e. there's little time left for actually "doing" the innovative work instead of just talking about it).

As mentioned above, there are way too many layers of management that really don't "do" much in terms of actual core product building, executing, etc. In addition, you can tell that several management leaders are simply in the position that they're in because of time spent with the company, NOT because they know more than the people below them that they're managing. What this leads to is a mis-alignment of who are the right people that should be calling the shots. You have very smart people that should be Sr. Directors and VP's but are stuck as Sr. and Group Managers, and you have lots of VP's who don't do a whole lot and should be lower on the totem pole. This setup also greatly contributes to the stifling of innovation that I mentioned in point #1 above.

Unfortunately, Intuit is not a meritocracy and working hard and delivering top results don't necessarily give you opportunities to move up within the company. In fact, HR and management are extremely vague when it comes to laying out what objectives people can meet in order to achieve a higher role with the company. Promotions are almost non-existent, and as a result, top talent often leaves to pursue better opportunities elsewhere once they realize this. I also think this is why people there tend to just work 35-45 hour work weeks -- why bother putting in the extra effort if you're going to get paid the same regardless, with little opportunity for advancement.

Some other minor issues that I found annoying were that they stop serving food in the cafeteria at 2:30, which means if you get hungry during the day or want to work late, you have to bring your own food, grab a candy bar out of a vending machine (what is this, 1988?), or get in your car and drive into Mountain View to get some food. None of which are convenient options. Snacks and things to drink are never free (see the aforementioned vending machine), and given that Google is right next door with the allurement of free food, I think that Intuit should seriously consider offering at least one free meal per day, if not ongoing free food.

Learn how to foster entrepreneurship and take advantage of the smart minds that you have working there, otherwise they're going to leave like I did and start their own startups.

Great Place for Employees

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, products and Technology

Cons

Too less opportunities for personal growth

There are newer employer reviews for Intuit.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!