Intuit
3.7 of 5 1,422 reviews
www.intuit.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

If you're an entrepreneur, stay away.

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

ProsI've never in my life worked with such "nice" people. And when I say nice, I mean really nice. Almost to a fault, whereby people aren't willing to criticize anything anyone else is doing because they don't want to hurt someone else's feelings. And management at Intuit genuinely cares about the personal well-being of its employees -- you can always leave work early or take time off needed to attend to personal matters. There's also very little "catty-ness", backstabbing, etc. that you often see in large companies where people are just trying to climb the corporate ladder at all costs -- you don't get any of that at Intuit.

Unbelievable work/life balance for those that want that. If you're at the Intuit offices before 9:30am or after 5:30pm, it's a total ghost town. It seems like everyone there has families, and getting home in time for dinner is just as important as putting the finishing polish on a product. And there's complete flexibility to work from home whenever you want, as long as you're not missing any in-person meetings that you're scheduled to be a part of. Being a single entrepreneur that's used to working 70-80 hours a week, I couldn't care less about the work/life balance that Intuit had, BUT it did afford me the ability to start another start-up on nights and weekends and not have to worry about falling behind with my Intuit work :)

The compensation package is very strong. Base salaries and bonuses are great, especially given the mere 35-45 hour work weeks that are expected of you. You'll be hard-pressed to find a large company not named Google or Facebook that offers the compensation that Intuit offers.

For a big company, they really try and put together a lot of company and department socials, extra activities, fun things to do, etc. I've worked at other big companies before that only do a holiday Christmas party. Intuit seems to have a party or activity of some sorts going on at least a couple of times a month.

ConsWhile Intuit claims to be an innovative company, it's anything but. The typical things that drag any large company down from being able to innovate, such as endless meetings, countless PowerPoint decks, way too many layers of management, etc., are all unfortunately extremely pervasive at Intuit. It's very difficult to actually find time to build innovative products when you're stuck in 6 hour-long meetings most days (i.e. there's little time left for actually "doing" the innovative work instead of just talking about it).

As mentioned above, there are way too many layers of management that really don't "do" much in terms of actual core product building, executing, etc. In addition, you can tell that several management leaders are simply in the position that they're in because of time spent with the company, NOT because they know more than the people below them that they're managing. What this leads to is a mis-alignment of who are the right people that should be calling the shots. You have very smart people that should be Sr. Directors and VP's but are stuck as Sr. and Group Managers, and you have lots of VP's who don't do a whole lot and should be lower on the totem pole. This setup also greatly contributes to the stifling of innovation that I mentioned in point #1 above.

Unfortunately, Intuit is not a meritocracy and working hard and delivering top results don't necessarily give you opportunities to move up within the company. In fact, HR and management are extremely vague when it comes to laying out what objectives people can meet in order to achieve a higher role with the company. Promotions are almost non-existent, and as a result, top talent often leaves to pursue better opportunities elsewhere once they realize this. I also think this is why people there tend to just work 35-45 hour work weeks -- why bother putting in the extra effort if you're going to get paid the same regardless, with little opportunity for advancement.

Some other minor issues that I found annoying were that they stop serving food in the cafeteria at 2:30, which means if you get hungry during the day or want to work late, you have to bring your own food, grab a candy bar out of a vending machine (what is this, 1988?), or get in your car and drive into Mountain View to get some food. None of which are convenient options. Snacks and things to drink are never free (see the aforementioned vending machine), and given that Google is right next door with the allurement of free food, I think that Intuit should seriously consider offering at least one free meal per day, if not ongoing free food.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to foster entrepreneurship and take advantage of the smart minds that you have working there, otherwise they're going to leave like I did and start their own startups.

Good for a large company

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great benefits, cutting edge technology, training opportunities Cons: Like most big companies, you tend to feel just like a cog in a great box of other cogs. No… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Nothing is happening, good for retirement.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Intuit full-time

Pros: - You can come/leave or work from home whenever you want. No one will blame you. It depends on your manager but… Cons: - Very bad management (first layer). Very cheap and not people oriented. They get all the credits. - Zero marketing on products. Can't compete against others...… Advice to Senior Management: Advice to engineering managers: career growth.. stop being cheap and stop filtering things from bottom to top. Advice to directors and VP's:… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Intuit.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!

Intuit – Why Work for Us?

If you're ready to create, innovate and be part of something big, then you've come to the right place. Our passion for innovation allows us to take risks and try new, ingenious ways to help our customers achieve their… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intuit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intuit CEO Brad Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by Intuit employees.