Intuit past, present, future

Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Intuit on and off for the last 14 years both as a full time employee and as a contractor. Pro's: * I was well paid as both a full time employee and a contractor. * The work environment is very respectful. Intuit does annual 360 employee reviews as well as an annual anonymous survey where employees are asked if their manager is respectful and asked about work conditions in general. So managers are incented to create a positive environment. I have known of at least one manager who was let go for being disrespectful to her direct reports. * Smart, engaged employees. * They continue to update the facilities. Most (but not all) buildings are nice. * Cafeteria food is subsidized. So while not free, it is cheaper than going out. * Well respected brands and company. * Since Brad Smith became CEO in 2008, the company has steadily transitioned into a more creative company. * Very transparent with employees in terms of Intuit's financial performance and business strategy. * Constant learning opportunities for full time employees - classes, etc. * Very innovative in terms of their full time employment practices - they think outside the box to provide learning and growth opportunities.

Cons

Con's: * I have worked at Intuit since Jan 2000 and at that time, the workforce was entirely American. Since then, I have witnessed Intuit systematically lay off portions of their American workforce and, especially over the last 6 years, replace with both outsourcing jobs offshore as well as hiring foreign nationals for positions in America. All for cost cutting. I am amazed that this is legal, especially given the ongoing employment recession in America over the past 5 years. Intuit says integrity is one of its core values. But based on its employment practices, I think Intuit lacks integrity. 95% - 98% of its revenues come from products bought in America by Americans, yet rather than reinvesting this money in America, this money is being used to create jobs outside of America (primarily in India) and inside America for foreign nationals. A year ago I came back as a contractor and I was shocked that in some departments easily 75% of employees are non-American. * If you are a full time employee, you are well paid with great benefits and great work life balance. However, in recent years, a significant portion of Intuit's workforce is temporary. Easily 25% is temporary (both Americans and foreign nationals); maybe even up to 35%+. It has a revolving door of contractors whom they hire and let go every 3 or 6 months. Again, all in the name of keeping costs down and profitability up. * In 2000, the vast majority of workers were full time employees. And if there were any contractors, the term was usually just for 3 months and then they were converted to full time status (provided they performed well of course). Now, it is very exceptional for a contractor to have an opportunity to become a full time employee in that particular role. You can of course network while you are a contractor and apply to full time roles. But it is highly unusual for a contract role to lead to full time employment. Intuit now has a two class system in its company - full time and contractors. * Intuit senior leadership may be unconscious to the impact of these employment practices because contractors are not given the opportunity to provide any feedback on their experience, unlike the full time employees. * Intuit is not a growth company. They are trying very hard to become one. And they position themselves as an innovative growth company. But the reality is they are not growing, and that is why they use so many temporary employees, cancel job requisitions, and have regular (though small) lay offs and hiring freezes in certain business units. * In my opinion, one reason Intuit is not growing is because they hire a lot of thinkers rather than doers. In other words, they hire a lot of management consultants into group manager roles and these people have never launched a product nor run a business. And time after time they fail and then move on to another job internally or leave the company. I have witnessed this multiple times. * Another reason Intuit is not growing, in my opinion, is because they talk about doing the work rather than actually doing the work. Full time employees and management spend A LOT of time in all hands meetings, off sites, field trips, monthly themed parties (from 3-5pm rather than after work), etc. etc. I think they are trying to keep employees engaged. But if employees really like the product they are working on - that is what keeps them engaged. That is also what grows revenue. Most of these other activities are just a distraction. In my early years at Intuit, we worked 40+ hours a week and then just had happy hours after work on Friday. The company was way more productive back then. I don't think any full time employee wants to call this into question because what a great gig - getting paid to hang out at off sites, field trips, etc. But when your business doesn't grow year after year because not enough focus is being placed on actually working, personally I find that demoralizing.

Advice to Management

1) Bring some tried, true, and seasoned product leaders into senior management - from outside the company. Right now just MBA's and business leaders are in senior management. They may be great at strategy, but they have demonstrated time and again that they are not great at creating new innovative products. 2) Re-imagine your approach to your workforce and employment practices and recover your integrity in this area.

Other Employee Reviews for Intuit

1. A great place to work where you can learn new skills or hone your existing ones

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No matter your role you are considered a leader, tuition reimbursement so you can turn a job at Intuit into a career, competitive pay, great healthcare plans, realistic bonus pay targets, work from home opportunities, friendly work environments, and great company values

Cons

Despite having great company values that the company tries to live up to, and claims are the foundation upon which it is built, Intuit falls short of these values all too often. For instance, Intuit aspires to have Integrity Without Compromise, which says "We hold ourselves and each other to the highest standards in all we say and do. Our actions and communications are always direct, honest, and transparent.", however these values are often discarded by individuals at the company when it is convenient, and aside from the outright breaking of company policy, most of the time no one is held accountable when the company values are ignored.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to hold to the Intuit values in all things big and small. Never disregard a company value just because it is convenient for you or the company, or because you may personally disagree with it. If you wish the foundation upon which Intuit is built, its values, to be strong, then you must make it strong and keep it that way. If you cannot do this, then you should revise your company values.

2. A great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, flexibility to work from home, well balanced work/life, ease of access to training and participating in technology conferences (Velocity, JavaOne, WWDC, Google I/O), world-class gym

Cons

Lack of office (with everyone sitting in cubes with very little privacy)