Intuit

www.intuit.com
  www.intuit.com
There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

Intuit, great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Great People, Great Products, Managements ability to see the future

Cons

Hours, work a lot more than normal 40 hours.

Make sure your Managers are not working their people too hard as well as make sure your compesating them fairly in the market place

1649 Other Employee Reviews for Intuit (View Most Recent)

Intuit is great, but it all depends on your workgroup.. some good... some are a nightmare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

There are very good people working at Intuit. Many have a great attitude and really want to be the best they can be. The compensation and benefits are fair and quite competitive. This applies to the two sites I am most familiar with: San Diego and Mountain View. Employees at all levels are exposed to lots of great ideas like customer driven innovation and the leadership model (i.e. "What's Important, How are we Doing, Priorities to Improve" Lots of great stuff that will help you be more competitive in your next job.

As far the work environment, the new San Diego campus is one of the best in the industry and truly resembles the workplace of the future. incredible food in the cafe, great workout facility, and just a beautiful place, inside and out. It's hard to walk outside in a sunny day and not have a big smile on your face, looking at 40-foot Palm trees that are perfectly manicured.

Cons

Leadership, Leadership, Leadership... Almost every 24 months, it seems that Intuit will do a full "oil change" of the entire leadership team. I have seen this happen in the Consumer Tax Group (CTG), Intuit IT (IIT). What this means is that VPs, Directors and even a few CIOs are replaced by a new leadership team...

In my opinion, this hurts the organizations (employees, customers and shareholders)... new leaders spend the next 6 months learning about what has been happening and then begin to put their "fingerprint" on their department. By the time a new "strategy" is in place, the rumors begin... the leader starts to lose credibility, and then one day, he or she is gone, with the usual email that starts with "It is with mixed emotion that so-and so is leaving Intuit to pursue X."

Then the cycle begins again. This time we are "assured" that we got it right and hired the right leaders... Then we read the new announcement and begin to wonder if this person knows what they just signed-up for. The honeymoon lasts 3-6 months before the new leader realizes the situation.

It is disappointing to observe this at such a great company that believes "Integrity without compromise" is the # 1 value. Yet somehow, the senior leaders never appear to be accountable for hiring so many "bad managers." This is where the logic begins to breakdown for me. If the leaders we are firing are truly "bad managers," then we don't know how to hire great leaders ( a big gap!). If they are really not bad managers, then we have a problem with retaining good talent and don't quite know how to deal with people who are "different" than us. Either way, the CEO and SVPs need to take more ownership of this, rather than blame the outgoing leader... Again, for me, this is an issue if integrity... at best it shows a lack of competence and maturity of our most senior leaders.

Don't believe everything you hear from the "official sources" This means HR folks, your direct reports, and other "thought leaders." Most, if not all of the time, they are operating from an agenda and trying to protect their own interests. Which does not always mean they are the same interests of the corporation. Spend time with front line and listen to what they have to say... They really are not as naive as many think they are. Just because we look like we can be fooled by fancy slides and new buzz-words and rhetoric, it does not mean that we are.

I am disappointed that we are starting to lay people off. Not sure if this is the last round or the beginning of an annual process. I understand that we are a for-profit company, but I still think if we really valued the people, we would have found other ways to transform, rather than putting our colleagues on the street in a dark time in the economy.

We should stop the annual employee survey... It has lost it's meaning and relevance.

old style company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

If you are looking for work life balance, intuit is right for you. The benefit package in intuit is great, employees can choose to work from home a few times a week. Lots of training opportunities for career advancement. I took more than 2 weeks within the last 12 months. Compensation is reasonable compared to similar jobs in other companies. The company used to be very stable, but there were some layoff this year. Not sure if there is more coming. You will get changes to know book
    knowledge, products are overengineered. Good for you to put all buzzwords in your resume, but maybe not so helpful for the company to deliver.

Cons

Intuit sticks to heavy overkill processes. Product teams try to adopt agile process, but the teams only appear to follow agile, they don't get the soul and true spirit of agile. Employees have to fill in a spread sheet how many hours they work each day, how many hours left in each task. But ironically the teams move slowly.

know better who does the real work and who only talks

There are newer employer reviews for Intuit