Great Intern Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

Intuit was a great place to be a summer intern. The intern program is very well run, and interns are given actual projects to work on. We formed great relationships with other interns and members of the company. Everyone from new college hires to older employees to senior management were very involved in meeting with and getting to know the interns. There were many tech talks and other opportunities to learn more about the company and its direction. We got to meet the founder and CEO/CTO/etc. and had an opportunity to present directly to them at an "IdeaJam" (presenting unstructured time projects). Again, GREAT place to intern (and free corporate housing was nice!) I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Like any big company, there is a danger of stifling good ideas with office politics. There seems to be a genuine attempt to promote innovation and take risks with new ideas, though.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster and support new ideas. Don't let the company get stale.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. high performing...great benefits...limited advancement growth (especially from middle/sr to exec)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Compensation is competitively strong...smart, highly analytical people...the practices, process, analysis and strategy development within marketing is very strong...when you go to conferences or talk with others (especially in hi tech) you see how high the TurboTax organization is performing. Campus and benefits are quite nice...easy to get spoiled here.

Cons

Career growth is a challenge...sr positions are more often not filled from within...difficult to move past certain levels internally within the organization...very few people developers...yes people must take responsibility for their growth, but Intuit in San Diego lacks sr leaders who enable, coach and mentor. You won't hear this much, but Intuit is quite political..not in the usual fashion...but a subtle way...who talks the corp jargon, those who can frame (even if they can't deliver results), etc. It's in every company...and it's clearly here at Intuit.

Advice to Management

Innovation is great...but be careful we don't fall into the trap of giving projects so much focus they become "pet" projects and we get "stars" in our eyes to quickly. some of our biggest businesses today, started out "ahead of the market curve" and was something additional we were doing...not "THE" thing. Improve the career opportunities within the organization (mainly in San Diego)...drive leaders to better mentors, coaches who enable employees to advance and grow based on strong performance and results (not just who "pitches" well)

2. In search for the next wave of growth..

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

working in Intuit gives you great work life balance. The engineering work is mostly easy and sometimes very laughable. The company is definitely stable and you don't to worry too much about being lay off (most of the time). Intuit also provide some time for employees to create innovative ideas (some times). They also tolerate flexible working hours and generally people work from home 1 or 2 days a week. Some leaders in Intuit are also very approachable and you can always learn a thing or two from talking to them. They working environment are mostly satisfactory with adequate equipments.

Cons

The product is not imaginative and most of the engineering teams are usually not strong. People tend to care more about politics especially when they work cross functionally instead of focusing on the results. Projects that are failing usually take a long time before it is being helped or being canceled hence, causing loss of money and time. The company is not aggressive in attacking the market and too process oriented that sometimes it is in our way in getting work done. The pay is so-so and career advancement is slow for people who are aggressive.

Advice to Management

Follow through on promises and take a little risk especially when the everyone else is not. Be more visionary and learn more about technology.