There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

Great Intern Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

Intuit was a great place to be a summer intern. The intern program is very well run, and interns are given actual projects to work on. We formed great relationships with other interns and members of the company. Everyone from new college hires to older employees to senior management were very involved in meeting with and getting to know the interns. There were many tech talks and other opportunities to learn more about the company and its direction. We got to meet the founder and CEO/CTO/etc. and had an opportunity to present directly to them at an "IdeaJam" (presenting unstructured time projects). Again, GREAT place to intern (and free corporate housing was nice!) I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Like any big company, there is a danger of stifling good ideas with office politics. There seems to be a genuine attempt to promote innovation and take risks with new ideas, though.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster and support new ideas. Don't let the company get stale.

reviews filtered by
  1. high performing...great benefits...limited advancement growth (especially from middle/sr to exec)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Compensation is competitively strong...smart, highly analytical people...the practices, process, analysis and strategy development within marketing is very strong...when you go to conferences or talk with others (especially in hi tech) you see how high the TurboTax organization is performing. Campus and benefits are quite nice...easy to get spoiled here.

Cons

Career growth is a challenge...sr positions are more often not filled from within...difficult to move past certain levels internally within the organization...very few people developers...yes people must take responsibility for their growth, but Intuit in San Diego lacks sr leaders who enable, coach and mentor.

You won't hear this much, but Intuit is quite political..not in the usual fashion...but a subtle way...who talks the corp jargon, those who can frame (even if they can't deliver results), etc. It's in every company...and it's clearly here at Intuit.

Advice to Management

Innovation is great...but be careful we don't fall into the trap of giving projects so much focus they become "pet" projects and we get "stars" in our eyes to quickly. some of our biggest businesses today, started out "ahead of the market curve" and was something additional we were doing...not "THE" thing. Improve the career opportunities within the organization (mainly in San Diego)...drive leaders to better mentors, coaches who enable employees to advance and grow based on strong performance and results (not just who "pitches" well)

Eliminate the irrelevant layer of architects, your engineers are good enough to lead.

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

Support for work-life balance and a level-headed company culture

Cons

Politics, politics, politics - I was recruited into a Staff Engineering position, and within the engineering organization, things were very good. However, there is a completely irrelevant layer of "Architects" who are too out of touch to lead, and too egotistical to get the hell out of the way. It is EXTREMELY frustrating to be an engineer there - your good ideas are co-opted by architects, who then proceed to load it up with "process" and "architectese" - and completely ruin its chances of ever being implemented effectively.

Advice to Management

Fire ALL your architects. Give them three months to find a _productive_ hands-on position - most of them don't have the skills to pull it off. Keep the 1% that manage to do this. Dump the rest.

There is not a single project in the entire company that will be adversely impacted if you kicked the architect out. Most of the projects already have talented, non-political, productive engineers. Get the "architects" out of the their way, so that your _real_ technical talent will then be able to actually build stuff that works.

There are newer employer reviews for Intuit