Inwood House

www.inwoodhouse.com
  www.inwoodhouse.com
There are newer employer reviews for Inwood House

Overall experience was positive but the Organization does not like to hire from within

Current Employee - Family Day Care Assistant
Current Employee - Family Day Care Assistant

I have been working at Inwood House

Pros

The mission is a great one. Very positive coworkers. Great programs are implemented for the youth and the surrounding community.

Cons

Does not hire from within often. Lack of communication between management and other offices. The raise protocol is not great.

My advice would be to begin to hire from within more often because there is some great talent within the agency.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Inwood House (View Most Recent)

Great mission but it's failing

I have been working at Inwood House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of employees are great people. there are some that extremely dedicated and know what they are doing. A lot of people at Inwood House have excellent skills, drive and ideas that can Inwood to a whole new level. In my time here i have met great people and have been offered many opportunities to grow. It is an agency that has helped my skill set and confidence to flourish. I know when my tenure ends at Inwood House, I will have walked away with lifetime friends and connections.

I shouldn't call out names nor departments but I will say that majority of my co-workersare just a joy and pleasure to be around.

Cons

Yes I have been very fortunate to grow as a professional but not because the agency is proactive in that sense but rather because I was in the wrong room at the right time.

Inwood House's politics is gravely suffering due to management and their egos. Let's face it, only those who are buddy-buddy with E Team members are the only ones who are guaranteed to grow. It is difficult working for (in my case formerly) people who power hungry, ruthless, inconsiderate and self centered individual(s). Who would want to let alone be forced to work with an Executive like that?

Many like to micro-manage others while some don't manage at all. it is very frustrating when you are meant to be a in professional setting and your Supervisor is never there. I have been to a countless number of focus group sessions for managerial and training purposes. At each gathering the same thing is said " We are working on how to improve things". In reality things will never improve unless a drastic change or replacement occurs. Management really don't have a clue in what they are doing. In Inwood House it's all about who you went to school with.

I recommend that E.D really takes a look at her management team and look at not only their skill set and qualifications but look at how satisfied their team is with their performance, the environment they have created and the reputation they have established. Why are some people so anxious to leave? Because most likely their supervisors/directors are never there. Be more involved and stop working "remotely". I understand you have busy schedules but be more available to your staff. And give employees incentives and be more proactive rather than reactive.

Very displeased with this place

I worked at Inwood House

Pros

There was one distinct "pro" of working for this agency: it taught me how NOT to run a business!

Cons

Too many to list, really, but these were the biggest (and most common) grievances:

1) Executive leadership was not good. For a group of people charged with running an entire agency, I would expect more professionalism and business savvy. What I observed was sheer incompetence. There was zero consistency when it came to making important decisions, and no real forethought when it came to strategic planning. Most days, it seemed as though the executive team was just getting by on prayers and good fortune. Top-down communication was non-existent. People were left in the dark about major events and changes, and only found out either right before or right after something happened. The result? Severely traumatized staff, diminished morale, and widespread disengagement.

2) Hiring practices were abysmal, which again goes back to executive leadership. The agency's policies encouraged the retention of mediocre staff, while good talent was allowed to walk right out the door. The executive director was more interested in placating the old-timers (many of whom had become "stale" and were really not all that effective) than in advancing the agency's mission.

3) Client behaviors were awful, and this was largely a function of program climate and culture. You can't expect a group of traumatized adolescents to behave themselves and be good parents when no one is modeling good behavior for them, and when there are no consequences for bad behavior. Think about it...

4) There is clear discrimination in this place. Bottom line: if you're not a Black or Hispanic woman, you're a pariah to be tolerated, not viable talent to be appreciated. Sad, but true.

Not much I can say, really. The business is on the brink of a merge at this point, and it's entirely because of poor decision-making. Honestly, I'm glad the ED is stepping down now; best thing that could have happened for this agency. I hope the new director can bring about some positive changes because s/he is about to inherit a complete mess.

There are newer employer reviews for Inwood House