Iowa Western Community College

www.iwcc.edu
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review

job search

Current Employee - Continuing Education Coordinator - Business and Industry in Council Bluffs, IA

I have been working at Iowa Western Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work environment is very positive

Cons

None that I know of

Advice to Management

none

reviews filtered by
  1. Excellent Workplace Environment

Current Employee - Instructor in Clarinda, IA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Clarinda, IA

Pros

Great work environment, caring staff, academic freedom

Cons

Diverse student age groups, technology alters teaching approach

2. Equal Parts Strengths and Weaknesses

I worked at Iowa Western Community College full-time

Pros

I spent a number of years teaching here and I was given lots of autonomy and flexibility to run my classroom the way I saw fit with minimal supervision from my program chair and dean. When they did observe me, they had good advice to help me improve and the environment was an encouraging one. Within my academic division, there was a good sense of teamwork and responsibility. Each of us knew what our jobs were and stuck to doing those jobs every day to the best of our ability. There were lots of opportunities to participate on campus with coworkers and students alike. Being in the classroom and on campus was the best part of the job.

Cons

On the other hand, dealing with anything outside the academic leadership was a non-stop headache. Communication between faculty and administration/staff was generally quite poor. Often times, even when I was directly and personally solicited to provide information or suggestions on how to proceed on an issue from staff or administration, I would try to provide well-written and/or thoughtful responses that would either not be heeded or go completely ignored. In other cases, if I had an issue in the classroom that required help from another department, my requests for assistance would go completely ignored for weeks or months at a time. My emails and phone calls would disappear into the ether and getting the input I needed to better understand the workings of the college that were not under my control was next to impossible.

In terms of yearly salary increases and promotions, they offer little to no reason to stay for the long haul. Taking on leadership roles that require a lot more responsibility such as program chair of a department is tied to how many full-time faculty one would supervise, which is great for the biggest departments, terrible for the smallest ones or the ones with lots of adjunct faculty and very few full-time people (i.e. most of them). Yearly salary increases became smaller and smaller while for two years in a row, I received no increase. The promotion process for faculty is cumbersome and grants the recipient a title change and a mere $500, $750, or $1000 extra in annual salary based on the faculty member's current title. Any money is good money but the process was so involved that, to me, it didn't make sense to pursue promotion because you could spend 20-30 hours compiling a promotion packet to receive two extra words on a CV and $500/year. In the end, I felt no incentive to climb this particular ladder. For this reason, I had another job that I would do on the side instead of wasting my time applying for promotions.

Advice to Management

There absolutely needs to be some radical change in how communication works here. Instead of so many directives that are announced from leadership to the rest of the campus, open two-way lines of communication must be established between all administration, staff, and faculty. These are three cogs in the same machine but I didn't get the impression that they were actually engaging each other but simply spinning in place without causing any forward motion.