Poor graduate scheme

Former Employee - Research Executive
Former Employee - Research Executive

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Its a well known market research company - thats it.

Cons

I have to agree with the other review, this job is just not suitable for graduates. There is little development, either because you are expected to do all the jobs senior people don't want to do or because no interest is taken in your development. They don't recognize your capability and even if they did, they will not develop it. Most of my days are filled with doing repetitive adminstrative tasks which require little talent and is hardly challenging.

The environment is also boring and it lacks any enthusiasm or energy. Many of the grads started with a lot of enthusiasm, but this did not last very long.

There are some good people in the organisation and the CEO does want to make it an interesting place to work, but I can't imagine this happening because senior people just need someone to do the donkey work so they can just about meet the deadline.

Advice to Management

Hire school leavers instead of recruiting grads, who will eventually leave to find challenging/interesting work elsewhere.

Ipsos Response

Mar 20, 2014HR Advisor

We are constantly looking at ways of improving our Graduate Scheme and making improvements to it. To this end we have hired more Research Assistants to allow Graduates to become involved in different ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good for 6 months, then get out

Former Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Company with track record
    Good experience until it gets boring in 6 months
    Yonge and Bloor location

Cons

Excessive Workload
    Lack of Career Development
    Behind technology

Advice to Management

Upper management needs a day in the shoes of their Entry Level employees. Being paid for 40 hours a week but being expected to do 50+ evenings and weekends is too far. Boundaries and limitations are not respected. Work/Life balance is only an idea.
    While the work teaches you fundamentals of advertising and research, it's among a sea of administrative workload, pulling data for reports by hand. Report automation isn't being adopted as it could be out of stubbornness by seniors.

Going forward, a huge challenge for Ipsos ASI will be getting with the times and staying competitive with new slick, fast and cheap online services. In the meantime, the department is in great disorder and it's hard for careers to develop when there's barely time to breathe between tasks.

Not great...

Former Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

As a first job, and in order to gain experience of the market research industry, Ipsos is not a bad option. There are interesting areas within the organisation, and some good staff.

Cons

There is a very poor work ethic within many departments, almost lethargic. It is very easy to slip into a comfort zone and cruise along without being challenged. Progression is rarely on merit, and is instead based primarily on the time one has been with the company.

Advice to Management

If you are going to employ bright graduates, make sure that you offer them challenging work, rather than basic, menial tasks, or they will become disillusioned.