There are newer employer reviews for Iron Mountain Inc

A Few Bad Managers and One Bad Hedge Fund Are Dragging Down The Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Collegeville, PA
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Iron Mountain is a mediocre company to work for. There are a lot of good people that work there and a few really good managers. The cafeteria is really nice. The building has both heating and air conditioning.

Cons

The pay is low and opportunity for promotion has been stunted. It seems that ever since the hedge fund Elliot Management completed their hostile takeover of the company, career development at the company has been crippled. Most recently, the hedge fund began forcing us to become a REIT. The company will no longer focus on investing in the company and the career development of its employees. Thanks to the hedge fund, we will now be funneling our profits to Elliot Management and a few shareholders, instead of focusing on our business of recordkeeping and data protection.

Some of the new managers that you have been hiring, especially in the Collegeville office, create a culture of fear. This is in stark contrast to the legacy managers that have been around for more than a year or two. The new manager/supervisors are hostile to speak with, resistant to discussion, mean, and generally less educated. Some longer term employees that previously loved Iron Mountain are thinking that it may be time to move on, since there is now no hope of career advancement. Newer employees are afraid to speak up; fearful of being thrown back into the recessionary ocean of unemployment.

Overall, my advice is this: The upper management needs to get the hedge fund monkey off of its back. Upper management needs to focus on investment in the business and career development. Upper management needs to pay their employees better. The REIT environment will hollow this company out. Upper management needs to pay attention to the mid-level and lower-level managers that they have begun hiring; there are some disastrous personality ego trips brewing. Older managers need to brace themselves as these newer uneducated managers try to disrupt a well-working business model.

377 Other Employee Reviews for Iron Mountain Inc (View Most Recent)

politics

Current Employee - Customer Response Representative in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Response Representative in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid org and products are sustainable so no fear of the company folding. Pays the bills ( starts around 12hr) , offers health life and 401 benefits plus two weeks vacation from the beginning. The atmosphere was like high school with micromanagers being manipulative and playing games instead of assisting reps with customers, I have a friend who still works there however and says it has improved a bit

Cons

you will be told you can advance anywhere you have background experience within six months but this is only true for favorites. Most supervisors don't know the job and have a do as I say not as I do attitude, in fact many were simply facebook friends of some higher staff member and mysteriously moved up while the phone reps are the forefront and first to assist customers.

move forward with fortune 500 companies by emphasizing leadership rather than micro-management,make sure managers know and occasionally practice the jobs they supervise, you don't need two managers for every 5 employees

Ok , they offer drivers alot of overtime yet its hard to work around family and school time.

Current Employee - Cdl Courier in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cdl Courier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Alot of overtime. , pay is 1.5 times after you reach 40 hours for that work pay week.

Cons

Overtime with weather heat can be too much at times. You are only off once you get all of your work done.

Hire another driver. 9.5 - 10.5 Hour days are a bit too much.

There are newer employer reviews for Iron Mountain Inc