Isilon, A Division of EMC

There are newer employer reviews for Isilon, A Division of EMC

Excellent opportunities, culture, management

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hello, long time listener, first time caller...

Having worked at Isilon for quite a few years and seeing the transition from a small company to one acquired by a much larger one, I have to say that they've evolved quite nicely. Isilon has always had done a great job of identifying talent and promoting it, as well as recognizing when there isn't a cultural or skill fit and weeding those people out. With the acquisition by EMC, the opportunities abound, whether within an existing group or moving to another. They've also done a good job of retaining the independent culture (on-site barista! game room with foosball, ping-pong & xbox! kegs+backup kegs! frequent mid-afternoon movie openings!). Isilon is a very self-aware organization and have the ability to assess themselves critically, which is no small feat, for companies and individuals. The executive management is also good about listening and responding to individual contributors and being transparent and open with the rest of the organization. They are also very good about promoting from within.

I'd also like to mention that I'm a female and I had a very positive experience at Isilon and didn't feel at all threatened, demeaned and demoralized. As with any of these reviews, I would advise taking them as additional data points (as well as with a grain of salt).

Cons

-- Salaries aren't as competitive as they should be, especially now that they're no longer have stock options.
-- Not sure this is really a con, but working for a big company (EMC) isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Odds are, though you might not even notice it depending on where you're coming from. I would advise taking the opportunity to interview if you get the chance to get a true sense of whether Isilon is a "big company" culture (I didn't find it so) and make your own assessment.

The key to Isilon's success has always been the people and the culture. Work hard to retain it - people come to Isilon because everyone is passionate, smart and honest; they stay because management recognizes, promotes and encourages that attitude.

72 Other Employee Reviews for Isilon, A Division of EMC (View Most Recent)

Great place, great product, great people

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Competitive Salary
    Challenging work
    Good work-life balance
    Excellent work facility with whole walls of whiteboard

Cons

I can't think of any cons.
    I guess the Seattle traffic could be considered a con.
    The management has just changed and the company has a new CEO and CTO, but the culture of excellence, innovation, and simplicity remains very strong. A great place to mix with the best, learn, and be leading edge in the hot area of NAS scalable data storage.

A nice little place to work with

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It still feels like startup
    the company is pretty small, people know each other
    managers are typically nice

Cons

salary and perks are not the best
    boring work day
    there is no signal in the building

There are newer employer reviews for Isilon, A Division of EMC