There are newer employer reviews for Isilon, A Division of EMC

Just starting

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer  in  Draper, UT
Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Starting Salary for someone with little experience. Opportunities to gain experience and progress within the company.

Cons

I have not found any cons thus far.

64 Other Employee Reviews for Isilon, A Division of EMC (View Most Recent)

Great culture, challenges if you want them

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time for more than a year

Pros

culture, people, work/life balance, projects

Cons

can get away with not doing much if you choose to

Excellent opportunities, culture, management

Former Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hello, long time listener, first time caller...

Having worked at Isilon for quite a few years and seeing the transition from a small company to one acquired by a much larger one, I have to say that they've evolved quite nicely. Isilon has always had done a great job of identifying talent and promoting it, as well as recognizing when there isn't a cultural or skill fit and weeding those people out. With the acquisition by EMC, the opportunities abound, whether within an existing group or moving to another. They've also done a good job of retaining the independent culture (on-site barista! game room with foosball, ping-pong & xbox! kegs+backup kegs! frequent mid-afternoon movie openings!). Isilon is a very self-aware organization and have the ability to assess themselves critically, which is no small feat, for companies and individuals. The executive management is also good about listening and responding to individual contributors and being transparent and open with the rest of the organization. They are also very good about promoting from within.

I'd also like to mention that I'm a female and I had a very positive experience at Isilon and didn't feel at all threatened, demeaned and demoralized. As with any of these reviews, I would advise taking them as additional data points (as well as with a grain of salt).

Cons

-- Salaries aren't as competitive as they should be, especially now that they're no longer have stock options.
    -- Not sure this is really a con, but working for a big company (EMC) isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Odds are, though you might not even notice it depending on where you're coming from. I would advise taking the opportunity to interview if you get the chance to get a true sense of whether Isilon is a "big company" culture (I didn't find it so) and make your own assessment.

The key to Isilon's success has always been the people and the culture. Work hard to retain it - people come to Isilon because everyone is passionate, smart and honest; they stay because management recognizes, promotes and encourages that attitude.

There are newer employer reviews for Isilon, A Division of EMC

Worked for Isilon, A Division of EMC? Contribute to the Community!