Great work, great pay

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work I did was really interesting, and I was lucky in that I got to see it pay off right away. I enjoyed the team I was working with, and everyone was helpful and relatively accessible. The intern program is growing, particularly in Santa Clara, and this means more and better events and interns. The company as a whole is also growing.

Cons

Not much office culture. People keep to themselves, the offices are quiet, and the work of some of the other interns I spoke to wasn't as fulfilling as they had hoped.

reviews filtered by

Fantastic Benefits!

Current Employee - Project Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are some of the best out there. It's nice to see a company go the extra mile because it is the right thing to do. Where other companies are pulling the rug out from their employees, EMC continues to excel in coverage and premiums.

Isilon has an innovative product and a healthy lead in the industry. This innovation can be felt throughout the division and presents new opportunities to grow with the company.

Extremely talented teams.

Cons

Altering course too frequently will have you going in circles. Let ideas play out before adjusting them.

Not every innovation is going to be a success. The company has experienced a few initiatives that may not have panned out due to reactionary course corrections only to repeat them the following year without learning why it didn't work previously.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize the many talented employees.

The benefits are amazing and help morale, family, community and employee retention.

Have the fortitude to let an innovation develop organically. It is what has established the foundation of the Division. Flashy or trendy features or processes don't build customer loyalty.

I

Former Employee - Principal Global Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Global Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Isilon, A Division of EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company care for employees, when it comes to perks, its like companies did in the good old days- not penny pinching.
    Isilon CEO (Mr Patel) is fantastic, he has great vision for the future and excellent senior management, marketing, support and manufacturing teams.
    Excellent work environment
    Great people to work with
    Leading edge innovative product
    Great company to work for, despite the cons mentioned.

Cons

Purchase by EMC is eroding some of the pros that Isilon had.EMC is changing things, the EMC way, although as this company is growing fast, EMC does bring in structure that a big company needs.
    Moving in EMC managers is making the company a more serious less friendly work place, terms of work environment. Bostonian are trying to bring their culture in.

Advice to Management

Don't change the process just because the parent company does it, in particular the employee perks and work environment.
    Many mangers are young, they need to be clear in the direction and not be afraid to work issues out with other managers.As merger with EMC is taking place, don't let confusion get in the way of employees trying to do the best, by creating two reporting managers even if it is dotted. get rid of this dotted two manager strategy. You will get best employee performance with one reporting manager.