Island Hospitality

www.islandhospitality.com
  www.islandhospitality.com
There are newer employer reviews for Island Hospitality

After 10 years of hotel experience, this was the worst experience in my career. Horrible hotel management company.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Bloomington, MN
Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing good that I can think of.

Cons

Middle Management expected to drop everything for the property. No life work balance at all. I am all about working hard and sticking my neck out but I have my limits. After all I am only human. Corporate office uses fear to get the GMs and department heads to perform which they then take it out on the line level and middle managers. Not right. Also island does everything by hand still. This is 2013. Catch up! Cheap company. I actually ended up being let go for no reason but took it as a blessing. I actually ended up changing careers and couldn't be happier to be done with this hotel and management company. Horrible benefits. Have to wait 1 whole year to claim 7 days of vacation time. That's the worst I have ever seen it at any hotel I have ever worked at. Could go on and on about island hospitality...

Just rip the bandied and close your doors already.

43 Other Employee Reviews for Island Hospitality (View Most Recent)

Will terminate in a heartbeat and only really serve the boys club .

Former Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not any I can think of but maybe the pay scale for the higher positions

Cons

Effort and solid ethics disregarded
    All decisions and processes based on what the big boys want
    Discrimination is masked by policy and documentation that is designed to protect the uppers in the company - not the efforts of the workers at property level
    Hourly staff totally dispencible - managers are not protected only corporate level is
    Hrd work rewarded only if they want to because everything is deeply twisted and there are a few that are chosen.
    Even if you think you are doing well...watch out.

Try to find your ethics if it is even possible at this point.
    Moving money from point A to point B under new names is just a game. It is the people that work for you that are the real value, But hard for you to really get that cause you are so stuck on being the big wigs you are damaging humanity by turning your back on your best resources which is your work force and managers on site. You can not survive without them doing the grunt work but your turnover rate and reputation stem back to saying that you believe in your people and then you stab them in the back when you should step up and support them with honest, heartfelt effort. You have made some bad decisions and hurt people and thier families.

Good management starts from the top, too bad not here :(

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Washington, DC

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as you are silent and do your job correctly with a little extra on the side, you will be left alone and favored. Takes tough skin, but it keeps you from stressing out.

Cons

-No raises, no matter how long you've worked there. I know people that have been here for 30 years and are still paid the same.
    -No reconition for employees hard work and dedication. But they expect you to come in happy, work extra hours, no back up and do the job right.
    -Company only cares about money money money. You can not show up for your shift, be late, curse out a guest, but if you do not take your breaks, you're fired, don't want to pay for overtime.
    -over worked with no intent to hire more help. They will fire almost everyone, or cut everyones hours and have a few take on the slack (houseman to do bellman job, front desk to help with housekeeping, bellman to help with breakfast, ect)
    -Lies Lies Lies to cover their mistakes or to put their mistakes on the lower postions

If you want your company to be successful, treat your employee, and managers with respect. Give us the reconnition we need to stay motivated (Christmas parties to say thank you, not pot luck, bring BOYF & BYOL, employee outtings, not who ever sales the most gets a free room at the property you work for) and the support we need (enough housekeepers, two front desk agents, stop firing and not hiring those positions back, a manager for each department) and we will have the encouragement to have your back and come to work happy and the will to make you money and make sure your guest are happy so they can return. Stop Lying to us!!

There are newer employer reviews for Island Hospitality