Isobar US

www.isobar.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Isobar US

Longish hours on very interesting projects with top-notch co-workers.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Isobar US

Pros

Interesting projects focusing on sexy GUI designs and interaction.

Cons

It's a consulting company. Some travel, some long hours.

Company has changed as it's grown. Losing some of it's start-up mentatlity.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Isobar US (View Most Recent)

I love working here so far. Great technical and creative projects and clients.

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar US full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Isobar for less than a year, but so far I love it. The best reason to work at Isobar is how exciting the creative and technical projects are. They are growing fast and I've noticed that the trend is improving when it comes to how exciting the brief (and non-brief!) work is. I believe this is a result of their investments in R&D and innovation as well as the fact that it is now a global digital agency.

For example, the lab / hackerspace in the New York office is nice for physical prototyping and electronics... lots of great tools and resources. You can make pretty much anything in there. I also get to work with some of the smartest developers and creative coders around. Some of these guys/gals are like artists who also know how to code. Others are more like coders who have an appreciation for art. There are also hackathons, exhibitions and conferences + a fair bit of exposure to startups and new technologies (before they become available to the public). As a developer, Isobar tends to get devices first.

Isobar is also an MIT Media Lab sponsor, so that's pretty cool. They tend to hire entrepreneurial types, hackers, and hardcore coders but they also hire super creative-types as well. It's also great how cross-disciplinary it some of the projects are.

Cons

People haven't heard of Isobar! It can be annoying at times when you tell people "I work at Isobar", but since it's a pretty new company in the US, often people haven't heard of us.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Extremely smart people and lots of opportunity for personal growth, though can be demanding at times

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interactive Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good job security
    -Very intelligent dev teams, you will learn a ton about the industry quickly (huge plus for recent college grads)
    -Able to work from home when bad weather or other situations necessitated it
    -A few neat perks such as Bagel Fridays, and monthly company lunch meetings
    -Very fair time-off policies
    -Friendly work environment (I've never had an issue with any of my co-workers)

Cons

-I've seen quick turnover for folks who've under-performed early on
    -45+ hour work week can be tough with no overtime pay (not uncommon to be connected even after hours)
    -Work can feel a little stale if you are staffed on a retainer project with a long term contract
    -Some projects may be understaffed
    -Pay is a bit lower than average, and it can take a long time to receive a significant raise or promotion
    -Consulting environment may not be for everyone

Focus more on tending to the needs of individual projects (sufficient resources/tools, etc). Also I would recommend obtaining more short term contracts as opposed to long term. Although long term means great financial security and can become stale very quickly for developers.

There are newer employer reviews for Isobar US