Ista North America

www.ista-na.com
  www.ista-na.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ista North America

The turnover rate at this company makes employment a less-than-desirable experience.

Former Employee - Print Coordinator in Alpharetta, GA
Former Employee - Print Coordinator in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ista North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free catered lunch provided every Thursday by company; various annual employee events, such as a parking-lot cookout; early release on days before holidays

Cons

Wide-scale layoffs without opportunity to cross-train with other departments; departments formed then dissolved; bare minimum pay raises; allegations of racial discrimination

Fewer layoffs and more promotions (or even lateral movement) to other departments would result in far greater morale.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Ista North America (View Most Recent)

We've come a long way!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Ista North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New executive leadership is fantastic, benefits are so much better than in the past, the company has added an additional holiday, culture here has improved significantly, and communication is leaps and bounds better than it's ever been. The company is even investing in a formal recognition program for all employees. The company is not what is was a year or two ago, but an organization that truly values it's employees.

The leadership team really listens to employees and takes their feedback into consideration when making decisions for the business. No longer are we a one sides organization.

I love coming to work everyday! I enjoy the flexibiblilty and work life balance I get working here. I feel like I work in an organization where I am completely supported by my team.

People leaving the company has decreased significantly, which is great for projects and team moral!

Getting Lync has been great!

My review was done this year, and it was taken seriously!!! The company even has goals for each employee that align with the company's goals and direction.

We are growing!!!!

Cons

I'm really busy...but that's not a bad thing!

We finally have a leadership team that is leading us in the right direction with a clear plan. THEY GET IT!!! The team is doing a great job of communicating on an ongoing basis the direction we are heading.

As employees, we understand that change doesn't happen overnight, but we've already seen a vast improvement from where we were a year ago, or even seven months ago. Please continue to seek feedback from us...we really appreciate that! Knowing that we can be part of the future success and change is important to us.

We can't keep focusing on sins of the past. There comes a point where we have realize that although we have the same name, we are not the same company we used to be. We need to face forward and just go!

Please keep investing in us and we will keep investing in you!

ista is a great place to work. You just can't be afraid to be challenged, and ready to step up when the team needs you!

Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ista North America full-time

Pros

Some great people work here, a few of which who have been there for a long time.

Weekly free lunch can be a benefit - don't expect healthy food.

Working from home for personal needs is often allowed. Some employees can work from home several days a week if they are randomly chosen for the telecommuting program

Advancement is easy, since the bar is set low and those that are skilled and take initiative are quickly promoted.

Cons

Company is completely remote controlled by an executive team in Essen, Germany. ista North America's CEO and CFO are German employees hand picked to relocate from Germany to supervise the company on behalf of the mothership and are rotated/replaced on a regular basis.

CIO is a nice guy but belongs in the CEO chair. Spends more time on the road with clients than at the office addressing huge barriers to success in IT.

German board is completely out of touch with how to do business in the US, market trends, or how to treat employees.

Employees are viewed as faceless resources who can be ordered to perform managers whims on demand. Managers are viewed as messengers who relay the demands of Germany to the employees.
    Many managers relish the role and have no regard for their team members. When managers won't do it, Germany hires hatchet men from corporate consulting firms to do it instead.

Technology stack is stuck in the mid-2000s. Undocumented software architecture is a mess of epic proportions. Builds take hours, development environment setup is impossible. Source control needs a 20 page guide just to understand the merging strategy. New developers are completely on their own to figure it all out, but expected to be productive on day one. Don't break a build, or you'll find a rather demeaning trophy in the shape of a horse's posterior on your desk.

The operations and release management teams are given the sword of "SAS70 Compliance" to wield in their fight against modernizing, helping development, and generally holding up the rare accomplishment of releasing anything of value.

Working nights and weekends is a common occurrence. Hearing stories of "so-and-so" staying at the office until 3am or working 36+ hours straight during a software release is not unusual - in fact it is seen as a badge of honor and a way to get ahead.

If you get hired and have a PC to work at on day one, you are lucky. Chances are good that the PC you get will be 5+ years old and used by 3 people or more.

Pay is easily 20% below market and turnover is outrageous. 3% to 4% raises are common, bonuses are rarely paid out. New employees have been known to leave within months, weeks, or even days. The teams that stay are woefully understaffed and marginally skilled.

Benefits are average at best. New employees do not get benefits until being with the company for 90 days, probably due to the turnover problem they created.

ista's "Shared Values" are painted on the walls and are the names of conference rooms, yet no one follows them. The "Speed and Simplicity" value in particular is a joke.

Hand control of the company to executives familiar with how the US utility market works.

Start spending money on attracting talent and fixing the huge mess in IT so that talent can be retained.

Get a weekly lunch that isn't covered in cheese or barbecue sauce every now and then.

There are newer employer reviews for Ista North America