Itron
www.itron.com Liberty Lake, WA 5000+ Employees

Itron - San Mateo - needs improvement for software management

San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Itron full-time for less than a year

ProsItron is a gas, electric, water metering company moving into new cellular smart grid metering solutions. Itron stock investment for the long term (not short term) is improving as they are expected to have several years of increased business as utilities invest in cellular products that Itron parent company and its Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) now sell since its recent acquisition of Smartsynch cellular. Embedded cellular design and development is where the action and growth is inside Itron, there is demand for embedded engineers. I joined into a lower level position from an enterprise architect position from a former large company with the hope to work on cellular solutions and move into embedded solutions. Embedded cellular design and programming is a strong area opportunity with Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo). Management in non-software engineering are very good and the executive staff has a genuine leadership style.

ConsItron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) is not the best place to work if you're interested in leading edge software development for Java engineers or Java architects; as the company already has heavy software investment in .NET energy management solutions that are mature energy components. Job ads may identify Java architects, but since I have 10+ years in architecture they failed to ask my skills in Java architecture, it appears to be just a label. The singular leading edge cellular software component the company has is handled by a very very small team and unlikely to add resources as system integration with the parent company has swallowed up those opportunities. Recent new engineering management has joined which has recently brought in issues such as micro management, lack of facilitative leadership, poor communication feedback loops, no pair programming resulting in poor team work execution, lack of real trust between management and software engineers, lack of appreciation. Some people are treated especially well if from Sonim Technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementImperative to instill effective professional two-way communication and team work, instill pair programming to spread the knowledge of core systems; instill solid facilitative leadership in technical areas to ensure effective team communication; instill best practices to reduce the recent 30% software engineer resignation; eradicate micro management practices.

One of the best places to work in Liberty Lake

Systems Analyst Programmer (Current Employee)
Liberty Lake, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Large on-site gym, sand volleyball and basketball in parking lot, friendly and appealing… Cons: Since it's in a small town the salary isn't as competitive. Sometimes the pace of change is quite slow considering the fact that meters… Advice to Senior Management: Profit sharing is excellent, but would be even better if it wasn't paid out on such a sliding scale. I would be great… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Overall Positive Place to Work

West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron

Pros: The people here are very approachable, helpful, and competent. There is a lot of room for advancement, both upwards and sideways into other fields. The… Cons: The investment community doesn't seem to understand the costs of making a good product. Itron doesn't outsource our R&D and production, which results in a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Itron.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Itron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Itron CEO Philip Mezey . All reviews posted anonymously by Itron employees.