There are newer employer reviews for Itron

Good company if you get & can keep the right Boss

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When profits/revenues were good...bonus and profit sharing was nice. HQ and Raleigh office are comfortable. Business processes usually organized. Most people are friendly, professional, and talented. Products work and relatively few product issues. Communication from management is above average but not perfect.

I was Project Manager for nearly 5 years, and had the best boss I have ever worked in my 20yr career.

Cons

I did the same job for over 4 years and my boss changed 3 times. First 2 were great and the last was a "Dud".

Not all, but some managers could care less about an employee's work/life balance and the unique values an employee can provide the company.

Travel can be extreme. Doing the same job, I went from 10% for the first 18 months to 100% when I left.

Employees are expected to the bank. Itron's travel policy (when I worked there) required the employee pay for all the travel expenses from personal funds and then submit expense accounts for reimbursement. If I missed an expense, it was out of my pocket. My expenses exceeded $50k/ yr.

Incentives/bonuses for project mangers became more complex and virtually unobtainable. I quite trying.

I was laid off (by the Dud boss) because I would not accept a project that required travel 100%, 2 time zones away for almost a year. My boss did absolutely nothing to help me find a job within company as well. I felt as if I was "just sucked in" and later "spit out." Itron did provide a minimal severance package only after some negotiation.

There is a high turnover rate of project managers and sale executives.

Take care of your staff and they will take care of your company.

83 Other Employee Reviews for Itron (View Most Recent)

It's ok.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Liberty Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people to work with. Lots of friends. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to the "troops". Too many politics for a comfortable work place.

Listen to more than the Sales staff.

Is a good place to work while the revenue is coming in.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies. They treated their people fine while the Smart-Grid investments were being made.

Cons

The government is no longer stimulating investment in Smart-Grid technologies, so the revenue stream is drying up and Itron is already changing how they treat employees. It is not a great place to work at this point, the end of 2012, and they will probably soon be MORE layoffs.

Find methods that produce steady streams of revenue rather than quick hits. Push harder into the software arena and charge for software licensing, upgrades and support.

There are newer employer reviews for Itron

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!