Itron

www.itron.com

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

ProsMy experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

ConsBecause it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Pleasant work environment. Very friendly people. Cons: Luck of direction and support Advice to Senior Management: Strategic focus No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Integrated, Tested and Repaired Power meter with Smart module integrated into them (cellular Phone modules).

Machine Operator/Integration Technician/RMA Technician (Former Employee) Flowood, MS

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: At the time it was a company with large growth… Cons: We were bought out by Itron Inc to discontinue our… Advice to Senior Management: There was a lot of other product we had going for us besides the Smart Meter Module. Like the Grid Router and the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Itron.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!