Itron

www.itron.com
  www.itron.com
There are newer employer reviews for Itron

Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

My experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

Cons

Because it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Invest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

100 Other Employee Reviews for Itron (View Most Recent)

Once great place to be - Now more and more depressing

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees. Lots of talented people that I enjoy working with.

Cons

Very depressing:
    Summer 2012 - layoffs
    Early 2013 - wage freeze: No raises regardless of annual review results
    Fall 2013 - another round of layoffs
    Early 2014 - announced that the layoffs will continue and they haven't finalized the list.

Good news is a fading memory at this point.

Morale is suffering. I hear more and more dark humor about the state of our jobs and the company. I love what I do but I can no longer tell my friends that this is a good place to work. PLEASE do something to show that you care about the employees. Right now, it feels like we're being sacrificed to the shareholders.

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Pleasant work environment.
    Very friendly people.

Cons

Luck of direction and support

Strategic focus