J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com

Love this company

Current Employee - Regional Driver  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Regional Driver in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've been with J B on and off for 21 years. I've never had a complaint about the company itself. My I've run into a knuckle head Fleet Manager or two, but I've a;ways made good money with J B.

Cons

They go a little overboard with all the safety stuff. It can be a pain sometimes. but then I guess there can never be too much safety.

Start cracking down on the smart mouth Fleet managers, who think it's productive to talk to grown men like babies. I'll name no names, but they know who they are.

Other reviews for J.B. Hunt

ICS still a work in progress but much better than 2 years ago

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

Pros

Improvement in work life balance and work flow

Cons

Compensation still low and still needs improvement in leadership roles

Continue to hire executive leadership from other division to help in improving worklife/compensation, and understanding business.

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise  in  Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR

Pros

The pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

Cons

Where do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Promote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!