J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com
  www.jbhunt.com
There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

Growing logistics company that takes care of its people

Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR
Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging
The people I work with are excellent
Innovative with technology
Aggressive goals
Support great ideas

Cons

Deadlines can be aggressive which means extra hours
Pay could be better especially for top performers
More vacation time or holidays would be great

Take extra care of your top performers in any field, you want to keep them.
Continue to support the great ideas of your employees.

260 Other Employee Reviews for J.B. Hunt (View Most Recent)

Love this company

Current Employee - Regional Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with J B on and off for 21 years. I've never had a complaint about the company itself. My I've run into a knuckle head Fleet Manager or two, but I've a;ways made good money with J B.

Cons

They go a little overboard with all the safety stuff. It can be a pain sometimes. but then I guess there can never be too much safety.

Start cracking down on the smart mouth Fleet managers, who think it's productive to talk to grown men like babies. I'll name no names, but they know who they are.

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

Cons

Where do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Promote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt