There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

A year and a half of OTR driving for the company

Former Employee - OTR Driver
Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The terminal in Chicago has a cafeteria. Usually, could find an empty trailer after home time fairly quickly. The staff at the terminals are usually friendly.

Cons

The other terminals don't have cafeterias. Most of the terminals aren't comfortable. That's par for the course in the industry, though. It's a bizarre lifestyle. I think some drivers get truck madness, like space madness.

Advice to Management

I was an owner/operator later and could turn down some the loads going to places like DC or Staten Island, thank god. The loads to those places don't even pay well. If they want 52' trailers in those areas, they shouldn't use sleeper cabs in my opinion. Give drivers a head's up about not getting off I-95 in NYC even if it is a "truck route". The height of bridges are mislabeled and the truck routes are confusing (other than to Hunt's Point). I was fired for hitting a low bridge there. I didn't know an interstate could have bridges marked 12'6" and went off course to avoid them, which got me further in a bind. I was black balled via the DAC report, but I bought my own authority and delivered food there many times after that. I learned the hard way how to navigate through that area. It's not for rookies.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent people

Current Employee - Recruiter in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

works well with your schedule

Cons

pay is low for the work performed

Advice to Management

faster advancement for top performers

2. Its a stepping stone

Current Employee - Senior Carrier Sales Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Carrier Sales Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day you face a new challenge. You will never get board with what you are doing. If you have the ride mind set and can hit your goals there are opportunities to get promoted. But that does not mean you will get more money. Just a new title. The company is currently looking to expand, and grow quick. Once again this gives you the chance to be promoted. You are not limited to just 1 job function. They are good about letting you learn new duties and take on more responsibility. Most of the people you work with are younger so it is easy to get along with them if this is your first job. A great group of people that are in the same position as you.

Cons

Money. You put in 50+ hours a week, work weekends, skip lunches and don't get paid for it. Not only that but when you do all you can to do well they will look at you and say " Its not what you did for me today, its what you can do for me tomorrow." Terrible follow up. If you want something done you have to stay in front of management and your other team members. You have to become border line annoying. I was made a lot of promises that were not fulfilled. And I was getting tired of it. If you are looking for a team environment you won't find it here. Everyone is out for themselves. Each branch has a separate budget and that is all they care about. You will spend more time fighting with other people to do the right thing then you will working some times. The management never knows whats going on because the "rules" are always changing. You will also be told you need to focus on 1 thing on Monday and by Wednesday it has changed. They are all over the place and have a flavor of the month mentality when it comes to solving a problem. The company does not like to fire people. So if you are on a team with a lot of lazy people you will have to pick up their slack. Also a lot of the people that have been their a while bully the new employees. There is no loyalty. The company would rather bring in outside people to fill upper management spots then promote people that have been with the company for years. They will also pay those people more. Unless you play office politics you will be stuck working for nothing to become something If you are looking for a job to gain good experience in all sorts of job functions this is a good place to go. But do not get caught up in it. There are green pastures.

Advice to Management

Learn to praise your employees more. An award a month given to the "poplar" employee isn't enough. You have a lot of good talent that never gets recognized. Upper management needs to spend more time on the floor. They are locked in their offices and don't have time for entry level employees. Promote within. Stop bringing in management from the competitor. We all know they make more money then current employees and they don't know the culture.