J.B. Hunt

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

Unprofessional Culture and Stubborn to Change

Current Employee - Programmer in Lowell, AR
Current Employee - Programmer in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses. I could always look forward to a bonus every quarter.

Cons

General lack of professionalism and laziness in corporate culture (dress code, work ethic, technology standards, etc.). On my first "Jeans Day", a Team Member wore sweat pants and a t-shirt--unacceptable at a corporate HQ.
They are set in their ways and resistant to inevitable change. A large portion of the IT staff have been there for 15+ years and have bred a culture of resistance and stubbornness when it comes to technological change. JBHT will never get great developers when they don't strive to leaders on the edge of technology and technological standards. The saddest and most irritating part was that they were excited and proud of "advancements" that were about 5-10+ years old.
Management knew I was bored and generally unchallenged in my job, but little to nothing about it.

Establish some accountability for your corporate culture. The way people dress, act, and work create lasting first impressions.
Sink some funds into R&D. There are so many technologies that JBHT could benefit from (RFID namely) that they don't invest in because "we've never done it like that".
Take IT seriously. JBHT could be so much more if you hired the best developers and keep them busy. Separating IT into business units is not conducive to collaborative thinking among developers. It only restricts personal resources and inhibits optimal output.

258 Other Employee Reviews for J.B. Hunt (View Most Recent)

A year and a half of OTR driving for the company

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The terminal in Chicago has a cafeteria. Usually, could find an empty trailer after home time fairly quickly. The staff at the terminals are usually friendly.

Cons

The other terminals don't have cafeterias. Most of the terminals aren't comfortable. That's par for the course in the industry, though. It's a bizarre lifestyle. I think some drivers get truck madness, like space madness.

I was an owner/operator later and could turn down some the loads going to places like DC or Staten Island, thank god. The loads to those places don't even pay well. If they want 52' trailers in those areas, they shouldn't use sleeper cabs in my opinion.

Give drivers a head's up about not getting off I-95 in NYC even if it is a "truck route". The height of bridges are mislabeled and the truck routes are confusing (other than to Hunt's Point). I was fired for hitting a low bridge there. I didn't know an interstate could have bridges marked 12'6" and went off course to avoid them, which got me further in a bind. I was black balled via the DAC report, but I bought my own authority and delivered food there many times after that. I learned the hard way how to navigate through that area. It's not for rookies.

Excellent people

Current Employee - Recruiter in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

works well with your schedule

Cons

pay is low for the work performed

faster advancement for top performers

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt