J.B. Hunt

Unprofessional Culture and Stubborn to Change

Programmer (Current Employee)
Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsBonuses. I could always look forward to a bonus every quarter.

ConsGeneral lack of professionalism and laziness in corporate culture (dress code, work ethic, technology standards, etc.). On my first "Jeans Day", a Team Member wore sweat pants and a t-shirt--unacceptable at a corporate HQ.
They are set in their ways and resistant to inevitable change. A large portion of the IT staff have been there for 15+ years and have bred a culture of resistance and stubbornness when it comes to technological change. JBHT will never get great developers when they don't strive to leaders on the edge of technology and technological standards. The saddest and most irritating part was that they were excited and proud of "advancements" that were about 5-10+ years old.
Management knew I was bored and generally unchallenged in my job, but little to nothing about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish some accountability for your corporate culture. The way people dress, act, and work create lasting first impressions.
Sink some funds into R&D. There are so many technologies that JBHT could benefit from (RFID namely) that they don't invest in because "we've never done it like that".
Take IT seriously. JBHT could be so much more if you hired the best developers and keep them busy. Separating IT into business units is not conducive to collaborative thinking among developers. It only restricts personal resources and inhibits optimal output.

Its a stepping stone

Senior Carrier Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

Pros: Every day you face a new challenge. You will never get board with what you are doing. If you have the ride mind set and… Cons: Money. You put in 50+ hours a week, work weekends, skip lunches and don't get paid for it. Not only that but when you do… Advice to Senior Management: Learn to praise your employees more. An award a month given to the "poplar" employee isn't enough. You have a lot of good talent that… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great Company for Starting a Career!

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros: Excellent pay for recent college grads and willing to hire those with little to no experience in the professional workforce. Most managers are… Cons: Raises are negligible and the salary bumps for promotions are relatively low. Within a couple years you will find yourself qualified for logistics/supply chain… Advice to Senior Management: The management pay scale needs to be reviewed given the hours put in by the management teams. A lot of teams run on skeleton… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on J.B. Hunt.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.