There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

good for entry level. no career growth.Long hours.

Current Employee - Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR
Current Employee - Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for entry level programmers. Challenging.

Cons

limited growth options. Unrealistic,meaningless goals causing no work-life balance.

Advice to Management

recognize the talent and credit the senior members. Invest on right tools.Balance the work load.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Unprofessional Culture and Stubborn to Change

Current Employee - Programmer in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Programmer in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses. I could always look forward to a bonus every quarter.

Cons

General lack of professionalism and laziness in corporate culture (dress code, work ethic, technology standards, etc.). On my first "Jeans Day", a Team Member wore sweat pants and a t-shirt--unacceptable at a corporate HQ.
    They are set in their ways and resistant to inevitable change. A large portion of the IT staff have been there for 15+ years and have bred a culture of resistance and stubbornness when it comes to technological change. JBHT will never get great developers when they don't strive to leaders on the edge of technology and technological standards. The saddest and most irritating part was that they were excited and proud of "advancements" that were about 5-10+ years old.
    Management knew I was bored and generally unchallenged in my job, but little to nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Establish some accountability for your corporate culture. The way people dress, act, and work create lasting first impressions.
    Sink some funds into R&D. There are so many technologies that JBHT could benefit from (RFID namely) that they don't invest in because "we've never done it like that".
    Take IT seriously. JBHT could be so much more if you hired the best developers and keep them busy. Separating IT into business units is not conducive to collaborative thinking among developers. It only restricts personal resources and inhibits optimal output.

2. Its a stepping stone

Current Employee - Senior Carrier Sales Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Carrier Sales Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day you face a new challenge. You will never get board with what you are doing. If you have the ride mind set and can hit your goals there are opportunities to get promoted. But that does not mean you will get more money. Just a new title. The company is currently looking to expand, and grow quick. Once again this gives you the chance to be promoted. You are not limited to just 1 job function. They are good about letting you learn new duties and take on more responsibility. Most of the people you work with are younger so it is easy to get along with them if this is your first job. A great group of people that are in the same position as you.

Cons

Money. You put in 50+ hours a week, work weekends, skip lunches and don't get paid for it. Not only that but when you do all you can to do well they will look at you and say " Its not what you did for me today, its what you can do for me tomorrow."

Terrible follow up. If you want something done you have to stay in front of management and your other team members. You have to become border line annoying. I was made a lot of promises that were not fulfilled. And I was getting tired of it.

If you are looking for a team environment you won't find it here. Everyone is out for themselves. Each branch has a separate budget and that is all they care about. You will spend more time fighting with other people to do the right thing then you will working some times. The management never knows whats going on because the "rules" are always changing.

You will also be told you need to focus on 1 thing on Monday and by Wednesday it has changed. They are all over the place and have a flavor of the month mentality when it comes to solving a problem.

The company does not like to fire people. So if you are on a team with a lot of lazy people you will have to pick up their slack. Also a lot of the people that have been their a while bully the new employees.

There is no loyalty. The company would rather bring in outside people to fill upper management spots then promote people that have been with the company for years. They will also pay those people more. Unless you play office politics you will be stuck working for nothing to become something

If you are looking for a job to gain good experience in all sorts of job functions this is a good place to go. But do not get caught up in it. There are green pastures.

Advice to Management

Learn to praise your employees more. An award a month given to the "poplar" employee isn't enough. You have a lot of good talent that never gets recognized. Upper management needs to spend more time on the floor. They are locked in their offices and don't have time for entry level employees.

Promote within. Stop bringing in management from the competitor. We all know they make more money then current employees and they don't know the culture.