J.B. Hunt - Transportation Manager Position - Field Office

Former Employee - Transportation Manager  in  Elgin, IL
Former Employee - Transportation Manager in Elgin, IL

I worked at J.B. Hunt

Pros

The opportunity to work independently amongst your coworkers. The opportunity for bonuses and pay raises if the outside branch as a whole functions successfully. The opportunity to work for a Fortune 500 company with a solid financial statement and longevity in the marketplace. Outlook for this company for continued future growth looks positive. Individual field branch structure allows for the will of the Director to determine unexpected, 'right-now', time off if necessary. Personally, in my branch, I had a very flexible Director.

Cons

Substandard appearance in knowledge of the 'brokerage' industry by executive management. Annual budgets are often overridden by executive management, thus causing unrealistic growth expectations for field branches. 24-hour on-call duty, which is expected to include any call from any of the 10, 20, 30, 40+ drivers per night, at any given time of the night, on a daily (including weekend) basis.

Oversee, and visit, outside branches on a more regular basis. This is a good company to work for, but the corporate-level appearance within the outside branches can lead some to think that you don't really care about them. Also, I personally believe each 'field' new-hire should spend at least three days at the Corporate HQ, prior to their first day at their 'field' office, in order to 1) Learn the culture, 2) See who exactly it is they're working for, and most importantly 3) Network with peers.

Other Reviews for J.B. Hunt

Decent place to work if you're with the right account.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

J.B. Hunt is a decent place to work if you want to get a year of experience fresh out of college. The pay is on par with most entry level jobs for college grads. The benefits package is pretty decent also.

Cons

The management structure here is atrocious. People are promoted for doing a good job, which is not a bad thing. But some of these people have no idea of what it takes to be a leader, mentor, coach, etc. The management style is based on discipline and dismiss, rather than coach and correct. Upper management seems to make a lot of decisions based off emotions rather than logic. And beware of the Arkansas connection. It seems as if 85% of the management team has some connection to that state or school. If you're not one of them, you probably don't matter.

For anyone other than a first year college grad, the pay is ridiculous.

Respect your management team and stop treating them like children. Promote leaders, not just folks that do-gooders that don't have a clue on how to manage.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Marion, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marion, IL

I worked at J.B. Hunt

Pros

I worked in the offices at a dedicated contract services account as an Operations Supervisor, and was the only JBH employee on-site. I was very satisfied with the flexibility given to me in my position, as well as the compensation and benefits. My manager(s) were all very professional and courteous.

Cons

I never really had a true downside, but I was on midnight shift. This sometimes complicated how and when to contact someone for assistance in the event of a PC issue or otherwise.

I have no advice to offer. JB Hunt was a fantastic company to work for, and I would gladly work for them again in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!