There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Roller Coaster Ride

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

They are really good at working with you for availability. Being a college student while working here, I have had to have work scheduled around my classes, and they were very willing to help me out here. They are also good at giving time off (even if it's Unpaid) if you need it for any reason. Some of the managers are super friendly and very open about information sharing.

Cons

Supervisors are not fair in how they treat associates. They pick a couple who they favor, regardless of their work ethic, and they are the ones who get the hours. Also, payroll hours are not spread fairly, and seniority does not matter. I have been with my store for much longer than any other associate in my department, and I was hired as full-time. There are a couple of people who have only been with the company for maybe a year, and they are getting the full time hours, while I get 1 day a week (even though I have higher work ethic than they do). Also, depending on who the MOD is you may not get updates or announcements about events, dress code changes, etc. Every manager has a different way of handling things, and depending on the questions, you may end up with a different answer for every single manager.

Be more fair to the associates. Rather than giving two people all the hours, try to divide them evenly. Also, ask for our advice more often in the way the company is run without judgment. Be more consistent, too, in how you answer questions--some managers will give one answer while another will give the complete opposite answer, and it's very difficult to know what the true answer actually is.

2040 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Good experience up until recently

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Fair pay and benefits for associates.

Cons

New leadership is cutting costs so drastically that there are no people left on the floor to help customers.

Listen to the people that have worked there for years.

Out of 3 stores this one is the worst; however, it is like being with family.

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Giving the best customer service. Working with amazing people. Almost always happy, friendly, and the support you need from your managers.

Cons

The slow seasons hours are cut or when things change in the company and hours are cut. Poor communication from senior management. A store manager who is two sided and denys that they said it in the first place. A store manager who lies to your face and then doesn't own up to it in the end or acts like you cannot proceed in the company but said you would make a great candidate.

Be honest and true to everyone you work with that way it doesn't come back to haunt you. Don't dismiss what your specialists have to say or what advice that they have to offer.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!