J. C. Penney

Horrible What DIrection The Company Has Gone

Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Manager
Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Manager

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Pay and Benefits was good.
Customers were friendly for the most part.
Many associates were loyal and hard working.
Company changed the dress code which seemed nice not having to ruin your dress clothes.

Cons

The new direction the company has created is wrong for the business. I came into work this past week and was let go along with 8 other managers. I am not adding my location because I do not want to loose what petty severance was offered to me. My position was given to an Assistant Manager because they were with the company for 15 years and they're position was being eliminated. I was with the company for 5 years and promoted to my position in February 2011. My Store Manager said that unfortunately we have to let you go due to reorganization structures yet every review I ever had was an Above Expectations. They let 2 Sales Managers, 1 Jewelry Supervisor, 1 Shoe Supervisor, 2 Sales Managers in Training, and 2 Department Managers go by eliminating their Job titles because the company wants to have a leaner management layer structure in every store. Thats right....this happened in every store across America (thats approx. 8856 Jobs with 1107 stores ) yet our new CEO has spent millions on advertising with Ellen and because of this new repricing strategy our sales have tanked 40-50% every single day. I assume the company needs to make up ground somewhere and why not terminate some of the Core Managers whom truly make a difference and have been with the company 5-25 years. Whats sad is the fact that they even terminated our Sales Managers in Training...so lets have someone up root their life and come work for a company just so they can let them go when they finish their training to be a Sales Manager. In a store volume of 24 million or more they will still have at least 1 Sales Manager, so why they could not transfer or be put in an intrim position till then is beyond me. JCPenneys is going down fast and here I thought Penneys would be the company that I could retire with, I was wrong...an unfortunately its the company that just increased unemployment by 8856 more people.

Get a Clue.....Bealls and Stein Mart even tried the repricing strategy and look where it got them. They went back to their old ways and they're stores are doing great in sales. They never cut their employees to make up ground for they're mistakes. Having this staff reduction is now not only going to effect the people it was done to but your stores are going to be incredibly understaffed. Payroll is only going to get thinner because every company always wants to do more with less. Go back to your old way of doing business because this ship is going down like the Titantic and your teams are going to start jumping due to lack of leadership and morale.

2286 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Pretty satisfying.

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Good compensation and benefits package.

Cons

Currently downsizing. Nights and weekends.

Best for part time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Very family-like company, friendly associates to work with and for. Company is dedicated to continuing to thoughtfully evolve as needed to remain in business past its centennial anniversary.

Cons

Hours are given based on availability and that might mean dedicating evenings and weekends that could be utilized elsewhere. Benefits are dedicated to upper management.

was hired when company preferred to retain and keep good employees; if they get back to making employees happy, they'll have happy customers.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney