There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

A Fun, and exciting place to work.

Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Worker  in  League City, TX
Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Worker in League City, TX

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

Your indoors comforted by the A/C and you also get to jam to cool music while you work. I always appreciate JCP's commitment to providing employees with two 15 min breaks and a lunch break when working full shifts. I've done this with other jobs and have never been so privileged!

Cons

not much to point out here. though I would love it if JCP had sort of a radio station where customers/ employees could text or request a song somehow. it would make the entire shopping/ working experience even more enjoyable!

Always encourage the idea of having periodic special lunches where food is prepared for employees that day. This type of function is fun, engaging, and always makes every worker feel more appreciated and truly causes them to love where they work.

2044 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Used to be a good place to work.

Former Employee - Hair Designer  in  Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Hair Designer in Canton, OH

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

My boss was amazing. I worked in the salon and she was awesome. Their old pay scale was very fair and encouraged growth in the salon. I had awesome coworkers who were not afraid to share their tips and we all worked as a team together. It was a great atmosphere. I was very happy working there. I'm also happy at their progressive attitude towards LGBT's.

Cons

Ever since Ron Johnson took over, morale has been dying at JC Penney. They do something positive for people to make them feel good and then in the next moment, screw over employees in cost cutting moves. They changed the pay structure in the salons to all hourly; didn't take into account that my low productivity the previous year that my new hourly rate was based on was due to me being a new hair stylist with no clientele and didn't work the entire year; and eliminated retail commission. they even lowered the salon manager's pay significantly which was also really crappy. JC Penney was one of the few profitable retail stores in 2011 when a lot of retail stores weren't doing so great. Ron Johnson came in and decided to fix what wasn't broken. I'm not a person totally against change. But I know changes aren't good when you shift from an attitude where good customer service and your employees matter to an attitude when only money matters.

Good starter job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Alamogordo, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alamogordo, NM

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount
    Products
    Co-workers
    Flexible
    Hours were alright
    Rewarded for good sales
    I learned actually a lot of really good sales tactics
    Not to hard

Cons

Lots of busy work when store was slow
    Not always clear on instruction

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!