There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

A great work environment, a lot of fun.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, easy and enjoyable work.

Cons

Long hours, always standing, lots of folding clothes.

Advice to Management

All day doorbusters are really hard on associates, and don't make sense. Also, more importantly, only use discount coupons for percentages off, not monetary amounts. That way associates don't have to start a new transaction after the customer reaches $75.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Store manager and Sephora manager are unaware of their own company policies!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are friendly and great to work with.

Cons

They hire you under the pretense that you will get a minimum of 32 hours a week and you get commision and great benifits starting day one! You soon find out that the benefits are a discount program....but to late you already comitted to the "insurance"! The commision is only if you beat last years sales....and nothing to do with the products you sold for the day! And as for the hours....they have more employees than needed just so that dont have any full time employees to recieve the real insurance! Also if the manager over Sephora decides she doesn't like you she will work you 4 hours a week....if you are lucky! She shows favoritism to those who suck up and if you don't gossip and bad mouth other employees with her you become the one that is talked about!

Advice to Management

The company has an open door policy which means you can speak freely about concerns without repercussions! After telling the store manager I want what I say to not get back to my supervisor! Not only did he tell her everything but he even showed her the notes he took with our discussion.

JCP Experience Depending on Location

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Trading Hours At JCP if you can't work your shift you are allowed to give your hours away or swap hours with another employee. If you want, you can ask a manager to pick up more hours as well. Usually they will give them to you because someone is bound to call out and they will be short-handed if you work at a good location with many employees We recently changed our dress policy in Feb 2012 to more casual. So you can wear jeans and sneakers (which is an upside if you're on your feet for a long period restocking merchandise) JCP starts people off with a bit more than minimum wage. I think the minimum wage is 7.25 in Jersey? Not sure what they start off at but it's definitely NOT minimum wage. It's easy to work in other departments if you get bored of your assigned department. 25% discount (a 5% increase since 2011) that comes in handy. Since we are no longer coupons at JCP, this really helps you out if you shop a lot. JCP carries great quality brands that lasts for a long time.

Cons

You have to work with LAZY people!!! It's disgusting the work attitude here. Clock in and do nothing and still get paid. Management knows and all they do is give "verbal warnings" as if it's going to stop these idiots from snacking at the register, texting constantly on their phones in plain sight of the security cameras, supervisors, AND customers. These select few will disappear for hours off "folding" tables in addition to their entitled breaks and lunches. My co-workers are really INCOMPETENT. They cannot finish simple tasks and grumble doing so. While with customers they do not conduct themselves professional or even decently. Management. HA! What a joke. Nobody on the same page. Everyone complaining about everyone else. We got supervisors and managers who don't know squat about their jobs. There are some managers that we STILL don't know what they do because they are always just walking around with a clipboard. You are given your annual raise according to your appraisal. For example, my very lazy coworker, who is also popular because she is sweet got the maximum raise allowed. Now, don't get me wrong, these people are nice, but that doesn't mean their work ethic is up to par. I did an average on my work appraisal (what a slap in the face) because according to corporate I failed at my goal to "sign new members up for credit apps" or "refer customers to our jcp.com site". They give you daily, weekly, and monthly goals to complete. I'm not saying that it's not do-able, but you are given the same goal whether you work full-time or part-time. (I work part-time) I don't feel like bullying people into signing up for credit cards but I do ask politely. Thanks to changes in our store, we will now be carrying less stock in order to get customers to start ordering the sizes, styles, and colors they want/need online, so jcp.com can make revenue. But JCPENNEY is retail so you should already know. Inconvenient inconsistent scheduling. Blackout dates during holidays and from October - January. Hours given to people who run to management to complain, or to the popular folks. (I don't care what you say, at this place it happens all the time. Just because you don't experience this doesn't mean what I'm saying is false.) If you want to work a part-time job with okay pay and does not like to get sucked into drama, I recommend this place. However, keep to yourself. Every place has drama make sure you get paid enough to put up with it. --------------------JUST A NOTE As I rated, I think that the business is going to go down hill for a minute. We are still adjusting to corporate's innovative ideas and the construction taking place within our stores. I have been able to peek at some concepts and really look forward to shopping at the new JCP once everything is done. I think we will really appeal to our american consumer base so do not fear! The company will still be here for a couple more years.

Advice to Management

How do you expect us to be in the "know zone" if you guys will not "officially or unofficially" train us? We have a training room for SHOW! It's a joke. "Experts and Leaders" needs to get on the same page because if one manager is out then no one knows what's going on in that person's department. That is helpful to no one. Also, I understand you guys needs to take an hour lunch break, but what is the point of everyone going together? How does that even make sense? ESPECIALLY during lunchtime? JC Penney does get traffic during 1 - 3pm because the mall employees as well as other shoppers will swing by on their lunch break. Yes, I know you have no idea what you're doing but it's annoying to work harder and not smarter. Get it together people!! Managers really need to get trained. However, do not be alarmed because I'm pretty sure this is just the culture in Jersey. I used to work at another location and they were PROFESSIONAL. Like NORDSTROMS professional.