J. C. Penney
3.0 of 5 1,643 reviews
www.jcpenney.com Plano, TX 5000+ Employees

Risky proposition for job seekers who want a stable environment.

Plano, TX

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe low cost of living in Dallas makes this an appealing choice for those interested in a retail career. The new CEO is fearless and driven with regard to changing the retail landscape. Decent work life balance depending on the department.

ConsAn uncertain future due to radical new direction. The new management team is inexperienced and unproven in this space. Poor sales trends may cause many initiatives to be pushed out or canceled. Benefit costs are extremely high and with limited choices.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the customer, don't assume you know what they want.

Company does not Reward Loyalty

Supply Chain Supervisor (Former Employee)
Manchester, CT

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fun work environment - as managment trainee, you have more perks than the rest of the team… Cons: Not very competitve pay, barely any raises or bonuses - if any. Long hours, lots of Saturdays and overall the management team at the facitilty… Advice to Senior Management: Pay better; dont make relocation the only deciding factor when promoting or making hiring… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Bail while you can...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great group of associates that are like family Cons: RJ is downsizing to the point that all of the good experienced associates are gone. Not only do they have bitter feelings, but they… Advice to Senior Management: RJ needs to do his homework before he embarks in his 'transformation". JCP is not a startup but a once respected institution that he is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on J. C. Penney.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman. All reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees.