J. C. Penney

www.jcpenney.com
  www.jcpenney.com
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Not a bad place to start

Current Employee - Service Lead Expert
Current Employee - Service Lead Expert

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great promote within mentality
-Company values input
-Great prices
-Great discount on already great priced merchandise
-Work two weekends, get one weekend off
-Nice benefits

Cons

-Ron Johnson expects too much without providing the salary to support adequate staffing
-Somehow they expect us to take care of customers while we have a hundred other things to do
-I don't have time to do everything they expect in a 40 hr workweek.
-No overtime, but I work off the clock a lot

Give us the proper people/staffing to get the job done RIGHT. We need to invest our time/money into our PEOPLE (leadership included). Otherwise, we will get no where. Also, I never feel like I am appreciated, even though I bend over backwords for you, my team members, our customers, and while executing the monthly SET. Be fair toward all of your lead experts and not dump the majority of the workload on one.

2286 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

This isn't a workplace, it's a high school cafeteria.

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time

Pros

Easy to learn job. Was fully trained at all aspects within a week. Flexible hours, but you have to set your schedule weeks in advance.

Cons

The cons are obvious. They got rid of all the full time workers to fund the transformation, so the only people here are 20 year olds who started when they were 16. They're in supervisor roles now, which is great. There's nothing like a 30 year old college educated newbie getting yelled at in front of customers for 'leaning on the counter' by a 20 year old that talks on their cell phone in the fitting room all day.

Also, if you say ANYTHING about another worker, rest assured they will know about it within 5 minutes. There's nothing that says 'great work environment' like keeping silent all day out of fear of retaliation.

We're in the middle of the worst recession in a century where there are out of work engineers, lawyers, managers, etc., just begging for a job, and you choose to keep around a bunch of kids, many of whom are uneducated and unmotivated?

There really is no advice, as the managers currently there are in the same boat: 20-something sycophants who were only promoted because they have been there a decade. There is no standard, there is no vision, there is no goal. Just a glorified after school program with no oversight.

The reason they don't care about the work force or professionalism is because the writing is on the wall. The stores are empty as is, and it's only getting worse once more 'changes' happen. That should tell prospective workers who want long term security all they need to know.

The only positive about that is the majority of the people there will be working at the local snack shack in 2 years, and the managers will never get a senior position in any other company.

Bad news for Penney's, good news for humanity.

Good store to work for and great experience

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

affordable clothing
    new brands
    changing views for a younger market

Cons

many employees
    employees may not know direction

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney