There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

A dream or a nightmare- Depending on the day

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is, honestly, not a terrible job. The hours, especially after the new policy, are very nice. I never have to worry about coming in at 3am, or working the entire night. I am a cashier, a job that fits me quite nicely. I love to talk to customers and go out of my way to delight them. The job is quite easy to understand. The policies might change, but the computers are rather simple, and usually you are scheduled in one area regularly so you come to understand it.

Cons

The "new policy" is not as great as you might think. The news might show us as a 'casual' company- focused simply on delighting the customer. However, we are actually very focused on bureaucracy. I nearly quit one night when I was told I would have to stay past my shift, which ended at 9:30p to perfect the floor. This does not mean picking things up off the floor or dealing with a table with items in complete disarray. This means making sure every sticker is lined up and every tag is tucked into the pile. We have become a company that doesn't care if you like the item, or if we have your size. We care if the pile is sized and beautiful. The customers also don't care whether you call them "In-season pricing" or "sales"- because they are the same thing! The managers are extremely overworked. This gives them absolutely no time to deal with associate concerns, which in turn leaves us frustrated and upset. For example, I am a student. For over a month, I have attempted to have less hours so I could focus on school. The scheduling manager, who is losing her mind she is so busy, has never been able to help me. While I understand her position, it has made me very frustrated. The company treats everyone like this is their career- that this is the work they will do for the rest of their lives. If you work here, expect to be forced to stay past your shift, clock in early, and be scheduled every day of the week.

Advice to Management

Give us more managers. Honestly that could solve many of our problems. Also, stop being so focused on appearance! Customers want friendly associates, good prices, and the ability to find their size. They will not care if every sticker is lined up or every tag tucked. If you want those things, make it the last priority. Treat us more like people. Realize that this company is not our entire lives. We have families and we want the right to leave when are scheduled to be off, the right to actually have days off, and the freedom to actually help customers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. New changes will kill once great company

Current Employee - Furniture Sales-Commission Before Hourly Change in Portland, OR

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, Fellow slaves, and flexible schedule

Cons

Long hours, No service just clerks and Management doesn't really care. Only Part time help now. I was Full time and Commission making over $38.00 a hour as "benefit rate" and I was called into the office and told because of new changes I will no longer be full time. Also that my new job title they figured it was fair to start people at $10.25 and hour and max at $16.00.. I'm not sure how that is fair? I was a great sales person, but was told they didn't want sales people anymore just clerks.

2. First check the manager and then apply.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, nice people working there. Hourly salary depends on which department you are applying and the turnover of the employees on that department and of course on your experience.

Cons

Some managers are rude - thanks God, not many. If you find a job there you can change department and go to a nicer one. Otherwise you just have to be patient, since you need the money.

Advice to Management

Please, check how managers treat others. Ask employees if they are satisfied.