There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

overall great company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, work from home, great people I worked with

Cons

new top management not great

??

2140 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

A dream or a nightmare- Depending on the day

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is, honestly, not a terrible job. The hours, especially after the new policy, are very nice. I never have to worry about coming in at 3am, or working the entire night. I am a cashier, a job that fits me quite nicely. I love to talk to customers and go out of my way to delight them.

The job is quite easy to understand. The policies might change, but the computers are rather simple, and usually you are scheduled in one area regularly so you come to understand it.

Cons

The "new policy" is not as great as you might think. The news might show us as a 'casual' company- focused simply on delighting the customer. However, we are actually very focused on bureaucracy.
    I nearly quit one night when I was told I would have to stay past my shift, which ended at 9:30p to perfect the floor. This does not mean picking things up off the floor or dealing with a table with items in complete disarray. This means making sure every sticker is lined up and every tag is tucked into the pile.
    We have become a company that doesn't care if you like the item, or if we have your size. We care if the pile is sized and beautiful. The customers also don't care whether you call them "In-season pricing" or "sales"- because they are the same thing!
    The managers are extremely overworked. This gives them absolutely no time to deal with associate concerns, which in turn leaves us frustrated and upset.
    For example, I am a student. For over a month, I have attempted to have less hours so I could focus on school. The scheduling manager, who is losing her mind she is so busy, has never been able to help me. While I understand her position, it has made me very frustrated.

The company treats everyone like this is their career- that this is the work they will do for the rest of their lives. If you work here, expect to be forced to stay past your shift, clock in early, and be scheduled every day of the week.

Give us more managers. Honestly that could solve many of our problems. Also, stop being so focused on appearance! Customers want friendly associates, good prices, and the ability to find their size. They will not care if every sticker is lined up or every tag tucked. If you want those things, make it the last priority.
    Treat us more like people. Realize that this company is not our entire lives. We have families and we want the right to leave when are scheduled to be off, the right to actually have days off, and the freedom to actually help customers.

Great US business

Former Employee - PBX Switchboard Operator/Receptionist in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - PBX Switchboard Operator/Receptionist in Clearwater, FL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close knit business office atmosphere. I worked as a switchboard operator, so I got to know all the employees since I distributed paychecks.

Cons

Some part time or seasonal employees were hard to work with since they didn't care about the company as much as a paycheck.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney