J. C. Penney

www.jcpenney.com
  www.jcpenney.com
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

lots of work to get ahead, promotions hard to come. Not based necessarily on performance, about who you know and impress

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

opportunity to relocate, most of the team members are friendly

Cons

long hours, pay isn't always "equal" for jobs that are being performed. Haven't had a raise in a couple of years, other than a cost of living increase for a relocation. Even though it was a bigger store and more people to manage, and in a state of disaster upon my arrival from the previous person who was terminated.

work life balance, non-existent if you want to see a promotion. home office team is out of touch with the realities of actually working in a store on a day to day basis. Take a look at the attendance policy, far to lenient.

2225 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Good work environment, poor company direction by new CEO Ron Johnson.

Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance. Very satisfying work when project are available. Great management teams. Previous years credit given to boost vacation time. Very competitive salary with good sign on bonus.

Cons

Minimal raises and bonus payouts. Promotional opportunities very limited without relocation. Corporate strategy changes created uncertainty in job security. Poor insurance benefits.

Create a growth plan with Management Trainee's that shows promotional opportunities and salary increase to reduce turnover.

Scared Service Specialist.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Temecula, CA

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with schedules. Great associate discount.

Cons

-The Management at JCPenney {2783} are completely incompetent. They expect their employees to be frightened during their entire shift, constantly using scare tactics to keep employees on their toes. I was told recently that I would be fired (in front of a loyal customer) if *my manager* saw me being as unproductive as I had been. The employees are constantly scolded when helping regulars, friends, or family. The company strives to be "America's favorite store" but if you ask any employee they're currently looking for a new job/ highly dissatisfied with the store.
    -There is a huge communication gap between management and staff. Rules change daily and no communication is ever present to notify peoples whom it affects.

Coach your "experts" on how to be professional when scolding employees in front of customers. Improve communication.
    Stop using scare tactics if you want to be America's favorite store. They reflect onto the customers.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney