There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

lots of work to get ahead, promotions hard to come. Not based necessarily on performance, about who you know and impress

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

opportunity to relocate, most of the team members are friendly

Cons

long hours, pay isn't always "equal" for jobs that are being performed. Haven't had a raise in a couple of years, other than a cost of living increase for a relocation. Even though it was a bigger store and more people to manage, and in a state of disaster upon my arrival from the previous person who was terminated.

work life balance, non-existent if you want to see a promotion. home office team is out of touch with the realities of actually working in a store on a day to day basis. Take a look at the attendance policy, far to lenient.

2170 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Like Rome, all empires eventually fall.

Current Employee - Sephora Sales
    Current Employee - Sephora Sales

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great (most of them anyway). Misery loves company.
    The 25% discount.

Cons

I work at the Sephora inside JCP and we have to ask EVERY client; 1. "are you a beauty insider? Would you like to sign up for one? 2.We have an event next weekend, can I sign you up?(Sephora holds events almost every weekend. 3. Do you have a JCP credit card? would you like to sign up for one? 4. It says you're eligible for the jcp rewards points, would you like to sign up for that too? OH and #5. for the love of God, can you please take our survey!" It's is terrible and makes me want to run and hide when people are at the register. Ughh, how annoying it is to have to ask all that. I can only imagine being on the receiving end of the interrogation.
    Managers are constantly threatening cutting hours because we can't make last years figures, however they continue to hire more people. WOW!
    Loved the company when I first started and with all eyes on the company, I saw for myself what was happening and is continuing to happen. It's very sad.

Look, last years figures and this years figures are not going to compare when the company is going through major reorganization. A reorganization by a leader whose initiative was to cut titles, jobs & hours while expecting profits and "likability" to rise.
    As other commenters have said...please stop changing the rules every week and getting mad because we haven't been told about the 'new' rule yet, or can't keep straight which have changed or not.

Good work environment, poor company direction by new CEO Ron Johnson.

Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Industrial Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance. Very satisfying work when project are available. Great management teams. Previous years credit given to boost vacation time. Very competitive salary with good sign on bonus.

Cons

Minimal raises and bonus payouts. Promotional opportunities very limited without relocation. Corporate strategy changes created uncertainty in job security. Poor insurance benefits.

Create a growth plan with Management Trainee's that shows promotional opportunities and salary increase to reduce turnover.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney