There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Upper management has ruined this company

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dover, DE
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dover, DE

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most associates are dedicated and care about the customers.
Interacting with customers.
Associate discount is pretty good

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, too much to do with very little staff
Hours can be horrible during peak events
Clothing assortment has really become very poor

Home office management is joke, need to live in reality. Take a step back and look what you are during to this company and it's employees.

2118 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Like Rome, all empires eventually fall.

Current Employee - Sephora Sales
    Current Employee - Sephora Sales

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great (most of them anyway). Misery loves company.
    The 25% discount.

Cons

I work at the Sephora inside JCP and we have to ask EVERY client; 1. "are you a beauty insider? Would you like to sign up for one? 2.We have an event next weekend, can I sign you up?(Sephora holds events almost every weekend. 3. Do you have a JCP credit card? would you like to sign up for one? 4. It says you're eligible for the jcp rewards points, would you like to sign up for that too? OH and #5. for the love of God, can you please take our survey!" It's is terrible and makes me want to run and hide when people are at the register. Ughh, how annoying it is to have to ask all that. I can only imagine being on the receiving end of the interrogation.
    Managers are constantly threatening cutting hours because we can't make last years figures, however they continue to hire more people. WOW!
    Loved the company when I first started and with all eyes on the company, I saw for myself what was happening and is continuing to happen. It's very sad.

Look, last years figures and this years figures are not going to compare when the company is going through major reorganization. A reorganization by a leader whose initiative was to cut titles, jobs & hours while expecting profits and "likability" to rise.
    As other commenters have said...please stop changing the rules every week and getting mad because we haven't been told about the 'new' rule yet, or can't keep straight which have changed or not.

For Support Specialist positions -If you're not used to walking or standing still for long periods, dont bother applying

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Amherst, NY

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount of 25% is great, especially when used with marked down items.

Cons

You don't get to choose your schedule, some start times are anywhere from 3am, 5am, 6am, etc. You might get scheduled to start 3am after working til 8pm the night before. You'll get screwed out of breaks. There is no training, you'll get thrown on a team with no clue of what some term means. There is no one on one training. When using the handheld scanners, they don't always work in some areas of the store and you'll spend a lot of time scanning stuff someone else did. No one checks your work to make sure you do something right. Very frustrating and physically draining.

Have a training spend on one time showing you exactly what to do for a couple weeks, with the trainer checking what you do and making sure you understand. All this should be done before you are put on a team.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney