There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Glendale, AZ
Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Glendale, AZ

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than a year)

Pros

great work place
amazing co-workers
cool staff
very flexible with work hours

Cons

maybe angry customers, or annoying people complaining all the time or about little things.

reviews filtered by
  1. Once was awesome, now not so much

Former Employee - Department Specialist in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Department Specialist in Conroe, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, supportive supervisors, location, lunch breaks, employee rooms are awesome, atmosphere is pretty laid back. Focus is entirely on customer, so if you fall behind on a project or assignment because you were helping a customer, you won't get in trouble for it.

Cons

Stock sent to your store is based off national data instead of local data (i.e., HUNDREDS of fleece sheets and such sent to Houston stores despite only selling 20 or so a year), some managers like to not respond to calls for help (most do their job, but there are always the bad apples), hours may not always be 40 a week, music is repetitive, sometimes expected to cover an area you're unfamiliar with for an hour or so for someone's lunch (not SO bad, but can be annoying to you AND the customer)

Advice to Management

Have more people oriented to each department so floor associates aren't running around with their heads cut off because they don't know enough about a department they're covering. RESPOND when someone calls for help- even if you know nothing about the department, go anyway. They may just need you to put in your password so they can run a program. Also, get with an insurance that's better than Cigna, please?

Code Red

Former Employee - TRL
    Former Employee - TRL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Before all of the changes you could be sure you were rated fairly. I was also not called a TRL which many of the associates changed to troll. Thank you R.J for letting me go before you completely destroyed the rest of the company. Face it You are out of money and out of time. Make a change now.

Cons

Now: everything about this company is a Con. The CEO needs to be fired. I was given goals last year and then when they gave the year end rating they actually changed the goals so they could rate you wherever they wanted to. The goals are not performance based. My store was a top quartile store and yet I was given a pink slip. The reason? I was paid to much they wanted cheaper younger people to do my job.

Advice to Management

Be prepaired for lawsuits.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney