J. C. Penney
3.0 of 5 1,851 reviews
www.jcpenney.com Plano, TX 5000+ Employees

Disappointing

Salon Leader (Current Employee)

ProsContinuing education, benefits, vacation pay, sick pay, paid personal days, flexible scheduling, paid training, hour lunches, paid travel, Matrix Color line, Paul Mitchell color line, Sexy hair concepts/Chi/Matrix/Paul Mitchell products for stylist use, supplied business building supplies. They set you up to win you just have to go out and do it.

ConsVery strict with new stylist or stylist without a book only offering them 12 hours a week. There is a productivity policy that if you miss your productivity (minimum money you bring in per hour you work) 3 times in a rolling 12 months you are terminated, no excuses no exception.
As the Salon Leader (manager) I am not allowed to perform services on clients. I have been licensed for 11 years being a cosmetologist is what I love and they have taken that away from me.
Really pushing “sourcing” They want the salon leaders to go into other salons and try and convince stylist with a full cliental to leave their place of employment and come work for JCP salon bring their clients with them. The only stylists they want us to hire have to have a full cliental.
The mass layoffs have been hard on everyone. There is no job security. You don’t know when someone somewhere is going to decide that your position is no longer needed in the new JCP vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you’re going to fire people and make others responsible for their duties then give that person a raise. More work/responsibility should mean more pay.

It was OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros: It was a good job while I was going to… Cons: They would schedule me just short of a full day in order to avoid allowing me to… More

Culture is rich, but the company lacks communication and buy-in to the new strategy.

Trainee Program (Former Employee)
    Buena Park, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for less than a year

Pros: The culture is enticing for just about anyone who is… Cons: Processes seem antiquated and do not support the new company-wide… Advice to Senior Management: Implement unique changes that team members support but ease into them opposed to all at once. Acknowledge your young… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on J. C. Penney.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman. All reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees.