J. C. Penney

www.jcpenney.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Could be worse ... could be a LOT better.

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

Easy work. Flexible scheduling. Most of the customers are nice and cordial. Employees get a 15% discount on most items in the store. Most customer service issues can be handled with out the need for a manager, such as price adjustments and getting change for the register. As far as retail jobs go, it's not that bad, believe me there are far worse jobs.

Cons

Low pay. Benefits are less than thrilling (I didn't bother signing up, more of an HMO than true medical coverage. And it's not cost effective when you only make $8.25/hr and sometimes only work 25 hrs per week) Way too much emphasis on credit apps. In fact, management will call you at the register and ask you how many apps you've taken for the day when you've only been there for 20 mins! And unless you get those credit apps, you can forget about any room for advancement, but then again, there really is no room for advancement, unless you go to a commissioned sales position like shoes, jewelry or windows (Those positions are considered promotions) My guess would be that there isn't an hourly employee at JPC that makes more than $9/hr. The dress code is archaic and a bit silly. Men have to wear a tie, dress pants, dress shirt, and dress shoes. Women just simply have to "dress up", whatever that means. And yes, the dress code is enforced. I could go on and on, but I don't want to rant and sound too negative. Yes, it is a menial job. Your feet will ache, management will get on your last nerve, customers will make you want to scream and your coworkers will drive you insane. But, I didn't expect too much going in, it's just something to do until I find a much better job. This is by no means a career.

Drop that silly dress code. A pair of Jeans, a JCP polo shirt and tennis shoes would be perfectly acceptable in this day and age, especially since we walk on concrete all day long. Quit basing performance on how many credit apps someone takes in one day. I'm sorry, but that's not customer service. Pay a wage that is decent and makes the employee proud to work there, JCP is doing fine financially, they can afford it.

2491 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

JcPenny was a decent company to work for.

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Salary, Distance, Management, Women, People, Customers, Attitude, Behavior, Policy, Rules, Respect, Attire, Focus, Goal, Lunch, Consultants, Analysts, Engineers, Stores, Clothes

Cons

Work,Rigor,management, girls, policy, rules, theft, parking, wasting money, restrooms, tvs, array of clothes, name brands, ties, jewelry, shoes, director, hours

Store management needs to be improved and checked upon weekly. J.C. Penney will go in the tank after the recession.

JCPenney-Great company to work for!

I worked at J. C. Penney

Pros

Great product assortment and availability of good technology and info. Job allows for independence and decision making if you are willing to stay on top of things.

Cons

As with any structured company corporate decisions are made based on certain qualifiers without much differences allowed for specific locations.

Continue to listen to the store feedback on advertising. Product lauches have been successful and handled well but there is some additional feedback opportunity with product quality in some cases.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney