J. C. Penney

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Sometimes fun, often annoying

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Ventura, CA
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Ventura, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not a very strict dress code, many fun co-workers, interesting hiring process, reasonable supervisors/managers

Cons

Too much emphasis on credit card applications, the ability to speak Spanish is basically required, no one is assigned to monitor the customers as they enter and exit the dressing rooms, so there is a lot of theft (which supervisors suggest you are responsible for) and the rooms are very messy

Chill out about JCP credit cards. Sometimes it's not possible to get 2 a week

2491 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Decent minimum wage job.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was given a decent amount of hours and they worked around my class schedule.

Cons

The pay wasn't very good but I wouldn't expect much out of a retail job. I knew of a couple people who had worked there for well over 10 years and still didn't make much.

If You Aren't a Manager. You will never advance. EVER!

Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Expert in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Expert in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays slightly better than some jobs.

Cons

Worked part-time for over 3yrs (Always passed over for full-time because I was white). Managers are their own world, if you aren't in the "Club"...prepare to pay for it daily. You are treated like nothing and expendable at every turn. You will never be promoted unless you have a friend in management. You get one raise a year and it's based on what your immediate supervisor thinks about you, usually about 5-10 cents a year. You are spoken to like an animal in front of customers, you must ASK to go to the bathroom, managers steal from the company by marking down their own purchases or stuffing their bags in the stock rooms. They will fire you if you are sick more than 12 days in a year. If you don't get a certain amount of "credit applications" you are put on "The List" and it will cause you problems. All around, this is a miserable place to be. If you are desperate and uneducated, you can survive, otherwise don't hope to make it a career. Too many barriers to keep you down at all times.

Train your store leaders how to be humans. Get people in their who have actually graduated High School and send ALL managers to leadership school!!

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney