There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

It's had its ups and downs

Current Employee - Support Specialist
Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are flexible work hours

Cons

no pay increases for years at a time. lack of communication to the sales associates on major changes. most seem to be communicated more as gossip than as formal memos

Advice to Management

communicate down the ladder. the associates on the sales floor ARE the company to the customers. Train, empower, appreciate. give them the information they need to provide the most excellent customer service.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carson, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You develop great skills and attributes. I have developed customer service skills greatly. I have experience handling currency. I also worked in the stockrooms gathering even more skills. The environment was great. It was more so a family like environment than anything else. I would certainly recommend this job for those 18-21 Years old. It is a great first job. A second, NO!

Cons

I have been with the company almost 4 years and I only achieved $1.32 more an hour than my starting pay of 8. As with any job working with the public, it can get stressful at times. Also, since leaving the company, the environment has changed a great deal. Keeping up with old co-workers, it is no longer a family type environment. It's more so, get in, do your job, get out. Also, the schedule is up and down and sideways (Not a set schedule). Again, this is more so a JOB than a Career. If you are over 21 years old and not going to school, you can find full time employment with a set schedule elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Bring that family type environment back! Have your employee's backs!

2. Job Not Worth The Pay

Former Employee - Service Specialist in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with new people, assisting customers were enjoyable, the lunch breaks were reasonable and nice, and the Department managers were nice.

Cons

for JCPenney to be one of the retail giants, the pay rate was only 30 cents above the poverty line. Management was unorganized, the store manager was rarely around. for the back-breaking work that you have to do, it was not worth the 7.50 earned per hour. Overnight work was unpredictable, and so was the scheduling.